viper or corvette??? Which do I buy

-
You said this is for your wife

The Viper would be a fun car but if it is a driver for the wife the vette is more a driver, even the ZO6

If I were buying a car to drive think I would go with the Vette. Not a viper fan and if I could buy one now it would be a mid 90's the new ones do not stand out like the older ones

Remember the Viper is a race car with plates, to be HANDLED WITH CARE

I have seen so many wrecked Vipers with almost no miles

Would love to have your Coronet.

How many times do you see a Vette and say "there goes another Vette", and when you see a Viper it's "oh man did you see that Viper, I gotta see if I can catch him to get a better look".

I'm just sayin' when I see a Viper on the road I get "WOOD"

I like the idea of the new Challenger though, just another car that I will never be able to afford. It wouild probably easier to maintain the Challenger.

abodyjoe and WildCat I have contacted the site administrators about your comments in this thread. I think that the punishment will be quite harsh, as well it should be. I will hope for your sakes that you both don't get a lifetime ban.[-X

How about a SRT-10 Truck? hmmmm

get the viper my dad got a srt 10 ram and i think a viper is what i would get, dont get me wrong its a ton of fun 500hp 6 speed and 4.56 rear you can get it loose real easy, but i think the viper stands out more.

Obviously you've never driven an SRT-8 anything AND a Viper. The only way an SRT-8 will outrun a Viper is if the Viper owner looses his keys

Besides that, Saleen has a new business and he is building 500 and 700HP Challenger R/T's and doing that with the 5.7, not the 6.1

I'd keep the cars I already have. Both cars you want to sell look sharp. But if I had a choice of the vette or viper,it would be the viper.

The Viper is all said and done in 2011 so it will increase in value.

i see at least 5 corvettes a day and maybe a viper every week here in vegas. i gotta say i like the older vipers. i vote viper. but just to let you know some of these little a bodies will leave that 5000 pound, 70 thousand dollar viper in the dust.

the corvette will be between a 2001-2004. Possibly be a Z06.
the viper will be between a 1994-2003. Haven't decided between side pipes or tailpipes.
I am leaning more towards the viper since you do not see them everyday.
That would be a C5 Corvette, I have driven a 1999 Corvette (base engine) automatic and I can tell you it will really fly. Extremely fast, handles like a slot car, easy to drive, good visibility out of the windshield even for a shorter person, and will get 22MPG doing it with the A/C on.
I also got a ride in a 2007 Z-06. All Z-06 Vettes are standard trans. It is a VERY fast car, and with your foot in it, can get out of line with the traction control off. Driven normally, it is just as docile as the base Corvette, although more costly to buy. I would imagine the Z-06 would hold it's value a little more, but not by much.
I have no experience with a Viper to compare, but from what I have been told (I an friends with the Viper plant manager; John Hinckley - Retired) they are more utilitarian, rude, noisy, extremely powerful and rather uncomfortable for daily use. However, that is exactly what the Viper owners club members want in a Viper; sparce creature comforts, and a LOT of raw power.

Hope this helps some, and Good Luck!!

George

My vote is for the Viper.

But............why don't you arrange to test drive both of them. If it is for her let her drive them and decide.

My vote is for the Vette. Why? Because the C5 Z06 is a quick car, sexy looking, and easily made MUCH faster then a Viper. Its Cheaper, easier to come by, and much more wallet, user, and wife friendly.

Besides, I got rear-ended in my Barracuda by a viper two years ago. It cost the got $12,000 just to replace the hood.

Another good reason:

The Dodge Viper the MOST ***-happy car on the road.

Meaning: If your wife touches the gas pedal the wrong ammount, its going to lite up the tires, lose traction, and probably get way too sideways and crash. I've yet to see anyone who has let the viper get out of control, get it back in their hands and save the car.

Most crashes are a result of the Viper being very poorly balanced.

Just my .02

Keep your appreciating old cars and forget the depreciating new ones.

Forced to choose though, I vote Viper. Corvettes are fiberglass hairpieces, Vipers are cars.

My opinion . . . I'm selling my vette, its only a C4 1986 coupe because its muscle and a car . . . but not a muscle car. Its a sports car. I wanted a muscle car (plus I couldn't get in and out of it lol). That's why I bought my Dart. If the softer gender wants a sports car, let her choose. Vipers and Vettes are in a different dimension. I choose, let her choose . . . Rog

i should refraze this alittle bit. the car is for me. but is something i want her to be able to take out and drive to get away from the kids and me every once in a while. she has a problem flooding my duster or the coronet. does not really like to drive them. so i thought i would sell them. keep my duster drag car, dart drag car and my d150 swb dodge. buy the viper and let her drive it occasionally when she can peel my fingers from the wheel. i have driven several corvettes. have never driven a viper. but i like raw power and something different.

A C6 isn't "much faster THAN a Viper" It is true, however, that 70% of all Vipers bought NEW don't make it home. This is caused by people who THINK they know what fast is, and really have no clue. My running bud's 96GTS totally stock on the stock tires will run 12 teens @ 118 in the quarter. You put anyone else behind the wheel and they probably won't get into the 12's

Having driven Vipers I can tell you every swinging dick will want to race you to see how fast it is, whether they're in a C6, an NSX, or a POS clapped out 5 point OH

By buddy had a problem with the amp for the sound system going nuts and running his battery down all the time. Yanked the amp, got it fixed, no more problem. If you go with a 3rd gen, the battery is MUCH easier to get to. The 1st and 2nd's were in the left rear wheel well like NASCAR lol. 3rd gen is also a rear convertible. It doesn't matter to me at all, but the top isn't power, and you have to open the trunk to put it up or down.

which is the better car. i am kinda fond of the early year with the side pipes and the targa top. but i also like the newer ones that have the roll up windows. when did they go to this?

97 was the first year for a roadster to have real windows

Oh yeah. I considered this question for a long time. I thought about a 96 red roadster because of the color combo. Not for everyone. This is the mustard and ketchup or McDonalds car. Red, with yellow emblems and wheels. But I like the idea of being able to roll up the windows.

So for me I think it would be either a Black Mamba edition, or a Copperhead. The Mamba has a wild two tone interior. The Copperhead is just the exterior color.

Being that this is such a dilemma I think you should send me the money and I'll pick out a car for myself and tell ya if it was worth it or not. That way it would not be biased. Doesn't hurt to try does it?

I believe i will probably be buying a viper. do you know of anything major that these cars have wrong with them?

if you are going to buy the Viper I would strongly suggest you and the misses take a high performance driving class. I would hate to see the car and possibly the mother of 2 damaged from driving a vehicle that is not the most user friendly

If I get banned for saying the vette would be a better choice guess I'm out of here. Vettes are more driver vehicles, Vipers are beast on wheels

check out the viper web site for good input. I have many friends with vipers and they all like different things

if you are going to buy the Viper I would strongly suggest you and the misses take a high performance driving class. I would hate to see the car and possibly the mother of 2 damaged from driving a vehicle that is not the most user friendly

That's exactly my point. The Viper is a really hard car to handle from many perspectives.

Really, if you want something fun to drive, thats fairly quick (not as fast or powerful as the viper) and something you'd feel comfortable and safe letting your wife drive. Go with the Vette.

And just to clear things up, the viper IS Fiberglass, just like the Vette. Either way, they both have pro's and Con's.

But from what I know, and if it were my family I would choose Vette. If only from a safety perspective.

I say Viper. I know of a guy who has one and he said its excellent in the rain and his has lasted him a long time with no problems or any troubles. Plus its a fun car to drive.

If you want to get her a cool newer car, I say skip both the viper and the vette and get her a prowler. They are rarely seen on the road and much cooler then the first two choices.

-
Back