Voltage Limiter

-

rick_rawker

Reaction score
Ok guys, I give up. Where in the world did they hide the fuel and temp gauge voltage limiter in my 64 Dart ? My gauges went from good readings to half of what they used to be, and I suspect a limiter problem, although I have put a test on the temp sender unit, and it 'pulses' voltage like the service manual says it is supposed to. I have taken the instrument cluster out, inspected, and tested great. There is not a limiter on the back of it, ( or the used one I have ). The gauges had been working fine...sure wish you guys would let me in on the secret hiding place !

...would my gauges be three prong if the limiter was inside the gauge ?...looking through old posts and can't find anything about my two prong gauges having a limiter inside...

Well I DO have three prongs. Now, do I tear into this one and do the solid state conversion, ( this is an extra cluster ) OR, do I put this gauge in and hope the limiter inide lasts. Uhmm...
Ya know, it still bugs me that both gauges in my car still work ( reading half of normal ). I thought when the limiter went out, it fries the gauges completely.
Anyway, thanks for helping me find my hidden limiter !

plastic 008.jpg

plastic 009.jpg

plastic 010.jpg

plastic 011.jpg

My vote, if you have the time and money, would be to do it the "fix and forget forever" way (electronic regulator swap).

If the original-type regulator's points stick closed, the gauges fry. If they stop closing (or stop making electrically-good contact), the gauges don't register. If they make poor contact or the bimetal control arm goes off spec, the gauges read low.

-
Back