voltage regulator problem

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well the next chapter in my resto saga. Was getting ready to mount the regulator and noticed I have 2 of them in my pile here. I have a 2 prong and a 5 prong. I look at the plug on the car and it is a 5 prong. some of the wiring diagrams I have show a 2 prong. One wire to the alt. and one wire to the ballast resistor. My question is why do I have a 5 prong on the car. what is the difference and do I use the 2 prong or can I use the 5 prong. confused here. HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Attachments

• DSC03453 (Copy).JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC03454 (Copy).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 168
The 5 prong one is your ignition module and will not work very well as a voltage regulator

the one of the left is a voltage regulator , the one on the right is the ECU (electronic control unit)

Judging from the rust and corrosion, I would not bet on ANY of that stuff working correctly. The connector and pins may be making very poor contact. Both the regulator and ECU (ignition) must be grounded very well

I'd'a said worse'n that, Bill!!

Another reason I said what I did, is that the ECU transistor and heat sink you see is insulated above ground, and has considerable voltage on it when switching. With a bunch of dirt, rust, etc down in there, and a little humidity, it won't be reliable.

Back in the days when I had the 340 FJ-40 Landcruiser, it took me awhile to figure out WHY the engine kept missing just when I was "having fun." I finally mounted the box and the coil (and later went to a Mopar MSD) under the dash to keep things dry and halfway clean

well, I feel real stupid asking about an ECU as a regulator. I have never seen one. This car had one missing when we got it and my Duster has a MSD 6AL box on it so I am trying to find out why a 2 prong regulator now has 5 prongs on it. the regulator and the ECU was gone inside the compartment.If the ECU will hold out for a little while, when we put the 340/4spd. in it we will most probably go with a MSD box. I just want to hear this puppy run and then tweek whats needed. I am going to have to get another 2 bbl carb and a gas tank before I crank it though. They are nasty. Thanks for the info,Bill

-
Back