voltage regulator repair

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an origional points style voltage regulator that was damaged during the first couple runs of my 69 dart. internally one of the fuseable link wires has burned. everything else internally looks good. My question is, what size or guage wire would it take to repair?

Take the cover off of the old regulator then buy a new solid state one. it is much smaller, then find a way to fasten the old cover over the new regulator.

Or perhaps get a GM style solid state regulator and solder it to the connectors inside the old regulator shell. I am not sure of the actual compatibility here.

I guess what I am saying is you are better off with the newer solid state regulator.

ya, i have a newer solid state type, but thought if this origional is still good and repairable, why not fix it

Me, I stay away from the Wells-branded ignition and electrical parts. Construction too cheap/reliability insufficient, in my experience, for my taste. I'd rather buy one good regulator than two mediocre ones (one to keep in the trunk for a spare when the first one fails). Standard-BlueStreak VR-128 or NAPA-Echlin VR-1001 is the premium solid-state regulator for the pre-'70 Mopar charging systems. They cost more than the Wells unit…for a good reason; now more than ever you seldom ever get more than you pay for in auto parts.

And as for Duralast garbage: None for me, thanks, I'm driving.

thanks for the input here, but my questions was, does anyone know what it takes to replace the fuseable link wire inside an origional regulator?

Me, I stay away from the Wells-branded ignition and electrical parts. Construction too cheap/reliability insufficient, in my experience, for my taste. I'd rather buy one good regulator than two mediocre ones (one to keep in the trunk for a spare when the first one fails). Standard-BlueStreak VR-128 or NAPA-Echlin VR-1001 is the premium solid-state regulator for the pre-'70 Mopar charging systems. They cost more than the Wells unit…for a good reason; now more than ever you seldom ever get more than you pay for in auto parts.

Mopar Action did an artical on charging system upgrades, My VR was a problem so I purchased the VR they recommended (Duralast VR706). So far no problems,

thanks for the input here, but my questions was, does anyone know what it takes to replace the fuseable link wire inside an origional regulator?

Yes. And the answer is "a whole hell of a lot more trouble and cost than it's worth". You have to use the correct fusible wire or else sooner or later you will burn up your car.

I have been using Wells parts for as long as I can remember and have never had an issue with any of them.

Wells is located in Wisconsin and has been manufacturing automotive parts since the mid 50's there. They also have a plant in Mexico where the plastic molded parts come from and some of the sensor manufacturing occurs.

Wells has been a part of the US automotive parts manufacturing for almost as long as Standard Motor Products that owns the Blue Streak and Echlin brands. SMP manufactures parts in the US as well as Mexico and Poland.

Duralast is just a store brand that Autozone has. All Duralast parts are made by someone else including Wells and SMP.

x2

-
Back