W2 vs. LA bolt pattern

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is more room to get a wrench on the header bolts with the 'regular' LA exhaust bolt pattern as opposed to the W2 pattern?

I'm asking because I have the TTi W2 headers which I'm trying to decide whether to use with my RHS heads. The#5 bolt is right up against the header tube and it is a P.I.T.A. to tighten. The P.O. used a stud there. The nut was rusted to the stud and came out as a unit.

Anyway, I am thinking that I need a 3/4" bolt there instead of a 1"? I slotted the bolt hole out a little to be able to get the bolt though but it's really tricky to hold the headers up while trying to thread the bolt in straight. The engine is on a stand right now, this would be twice as difficult with the motor in the car.

Can't use my fancy Stage 8 locking header bolts either, no room to get the tear drop shaped washer over the bolt head without grinding them down to nothing.

So again, is there more room with the regular LA headers or is it the same as the W2 style?

Have you tried a cap head bolt? Might give you a bit more space.

Thanks for the reply. A cap head bolt wouldn't work because the tube makes a sharp bend right out of the exhaust port, you can't get anything but an open-end wrench on the bolt head.

I used bolts from TTi, they worked fine. I shortened the #5 bolt and ground the edges of the head which made it much easier to install. Still tight though.

Still not sure if there is any more or less room with the different bolt pattern but I got the headers on so it's a moot point. There are two W2 bolt patterns, my older #810 set interchanges with the LA pattern. The later ones have the different pattern.

I know this issue also, Not sure W2 pattern fit better or worse than the LA pattern. I think it's a header by header basis. Are you using adapter plates on the heads?

No adapter plates.

In case it was unclear, I am not actually using W2 heads anymore. I have the RHS/Indy X heads which are drilled for both the older W2 and LA exhaust bolt pattern. My previous combo had W2s though and I had the TTi headers that were specific to them.

I believe the confusion on the W2 bolt pattern arises because there are in fact two different W2 exhaust bolt patterns. Sorry if that is redundant.

When I was mocking up the headers, I looked at the bolt patterns, I just had the thought that there might be more room with the conventional LA headers and would have bought them if that was the case. Turns out no.

I also needed to make sure I brought the correct exhaust gaskets. It's all good now though.

-
Back