wagon quarter glass rubber seal

-

60jerry

Reaction score
In order to install a headliner in my '63 Dart wagon the quarter glass must be removed. I would love to buy a pair of new nice seals if someone has them.

Or, has anyone figured out another way to do the wagon headliner install?

My headliner is beginning to fall apart and it's getting ugly.
Jerry

In order to install a headliner in my '63 Dart wagon the quarter glass must be removed. I would love to buy a pair of new nice seals if someone has them.

Or, has anyone figured out another way to do the wagon headliner install?

My headliner is beginning to fall apart and it's getting ugly.
Jerry
Didn't Layson's carry them a year ago ?

There was a parts outfit in Australia selling them for the AP5 Safari which should be the same as they were imported from the US.

There was a parts outfit in Australia selling them for the AP5 Safari which should be the same as they were imported from the US.
Laysons hasn't shown me any quarter gaskets nor has the Australia site. I have found other early A rubber parts there however. Guess I'll recheckwith both of these sites again.

Thanks guys for the responses.
Jerry

Laysons hasn't shown me any quarter gaskets nor has the Australia site. I have found other early A rubber parts there however. Guess I'll recheckwith both of these sites again.

Jerry
Im in need of rear window seal for drivers side on my 62 Lancer Wagon, same as Valiant.
Are 62 and 63 rear glass the same?

Jerry
Call Layson's. They told me a year ago on the phone they had the seal and lockstrips. I want to say for around $160 per side.

Jerry
Now who wants to sell me a Nice A body Roof rack and center strips ?? Lol

Call Layson's. They told me a year ago on the phone they had the seal and lockstrips. I want to say for around $160 per side.
Thanks for the suggestion of Laysons. I ordered seals from Laysons. The seals seem to be made in the correct cross section profile. Each one is enough for one side. The tricky part is that the seals are one straight rubber gasket with corners not built up. It appears to me that it will need to be cut into two parts and mitered to the front upper and rear lower corners. The upper front corner is right at a 90 degree angle. The rear lower corner is an acute angle of about 67 degrees. The gasket is unlikely to make those angles by bending. I think I'll chat with an older and experienced glass person for any help. If I can't get advice I think I can do this anyhow. I've been googling ways to joint the rubber with chemicals but that seems an unlikely method. The originals' corners appear to have been joined with heat in a form. I'll probably use black silicone or some other black stuff to seal the miters. This will be interesting. The wagon is at the upholstery shop for seat upholstery and there will be a financial recovery period before attacking these side glass jobs. Any advice is always welcome.
Jerry in Denver

I've been googling ways to joint the rubber with chemicals but that seems an unlikely method. I'll probably use black silicone or some other black stuff to seal the miters. Any advice is always welcome.
Jerry in Denver

I don't think Silicone is your best choice.... I suggest you do your own testing before you choose but I can tell you back in the 70's a buddy had a radiator hose fail while traveling from Las Vegas to San Diego... & while he had access to water to fill the radiator the only thing he had to attempt to repair the hose with was Super Glue.... He tried it & it worked so well it didn't leak a drop... He wound up picking up a replacement hose but left that hose in place for nearly six months just kinda as a test to see how well it would hold up...

I don't think Silicone is your best choice.... I suggest you do your own testing before you choose but I can tell you back in the 70's a buddy had a radiator hose fail while traveling from Las Vegas to San Diego... & while he had access to water to fill the radiator the only thing he had to attempt to repair the hose with was Super Glue.... He tried it & it worked so well it didn't leak a drop... He wound up picking up a replacement hose but left that hose in place for nearly six months just kinda as a test to see how well it would hold up...
Yes, I'm not happy with the silicone idea. Silicone would seal from water leaks but won't hold anything together. Super glue sounds like something to experiment with. I think I'll cut some pieces of the rubber and try it. In my mind it seems like it would break loose but durned sure worth a try. Thanks for the idea.
Jerry

The gel-type of superglue is what you would want to use....
Will the gel type super glue remain somewhat flexible after setting up? Or does the gel type adhere best to the rubber? I suspect that the two surfaces that go together will need to be sanded for adhesion.Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick, have you gotten any feedback from other people who have used this weather strip in similar installations?

Jerry

Once the glass is installed, no need for "flexibility" as everything should be solid and in place. The gel-type does seem to work better on rubber items. Don't get too overly ambitious with the sanding of the mating surfaces....you do want a little "roughness" to it for the gel to work it's way into the nooks and crannies.

Our customers have had no issues once the glass is installed.....but I might mention that we do recommend professional installation if this is something you've never done before. We have sold quite a few of these gasket sets in the past, again....no major issues for fit and function.

Thanks for the suggestion of Laysons. I ordered seals from Laysons. The seals seem to be made in the correct cross section profile. Each one is enough for one side. The tricky part is that the seals are one straight rubber gasket with corners not built up. It appears to me that it will need to be cut into two parts and mitered to the front upper and rear lower corners. The upper front corner is right at a 90 degree angle. The rear lower corner is an acute angle of about 67 degrees. The gasket is unlikely to make those angles by bending. I think I'll chat with an older and experienced glass person for any help. If I can't get advice I think I can do this anyhow. I've been googling ways to joint the rubber with chemicals but that seems an unlikely method. The originals' corners appear to have been joined with heat in a form. I'll probably use black silicone or some other black stuff to seal the miters. This will be interesting. The wagon is at the upholstery shop for seat upholstery and there will be a financial recovery period before attacking these side glass jobs. Any advice is always welcome.
Jerry in Denver
Thank you, because we all are going to have to do this on our wagons.

For my Wagon rear Cargo windows I am hoping to achieve it all, sealing , longevity and appearance.
If not I am prepared to cut sheet metal, bend it and go Panel-Wagon.

-
Back