Wagon quarter glass seals--again

-

60jerry

Reaction score
If I get a successful front end alignment from a local shop I'll be staring at a headliner install, possibly/probably by a local upholstery shop. The quarter glass and windshield must come out to expose the pinchwelds over which the edges of the headliner are attached. From Layson's I purchased the quarter glass rubber seals with what appears to be a durned good molded cross section to fit the wagon and glass. Nice part. However, the rubber gasket does not have the molded corners, so the installer needs to figure that out. Where the bends are really tight, forcing the rubber to conform to the corner is part of the issue. I've been puzzling about this for some time and I'm wondering if someone has performed this task and succeeded.

I think I can do this in two strips of rubber gasket--maybe. I constructed a crude mockup of the tightest corner. The front upper corner and the rear lower corners are near 90 degree corners and will require mitered corners. Not too bad, just needing careful cutting and fitting for a nice snug sealable joint. The front lower and rear upper corners are interesting. Making a miter corner would be very difficult, at least as I see it. Trying to cut and fit two pieces together seems problematic because either in one piece or two pieces the gasket needs to make that bend, no matter what. At any point in that curved area the rubber must make the bend. Two pieces coming together would require the same bend on two parts. I suspect that the best way is to form the gasket around those bends in one piece. I built a little jig that forces a section of the rubber into the tightest (I hope) curve (rear upper). With the gasket held in the shape of the tightest curve I attenpted to install a portion of the locking strip and it worked. I used a Lisle locking strip installation tool, (part number 47000) and it works well with soapy water. It's still a small struggle but with about five minutes of fiddling practice it'll go well. The lock strip inserted just fine--on my mockup. I'm gonna not worry about that.

I have no idea how the actual installation of the side glass will go. I'm thinking that it will go about like the windshield installation. I've done one early a body windshield and it went just fine, so I'm hoping the side glass is at least similar.

Anybody have any advice and/or wisdom to offer? This thing will probably happen this summer. I hope.

I was quoted $900 to install the headliner. The upholstery shop does no glass work. Headliner install only. I must deal with glass myself. How does the quoted price sound for install only? I attempted an install in my '66 GT and gave up. Like herding cats. Hard to hold things in place while working other areas.

I'm too damned old for this but ain't made of money. I hopethis is understandable.

Again, the rubber gasket seems to be a nice part. Thanks Laysons.
Jerry in Denver

-
Back