Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyshiz

not fast enuff if it dont make ur butthole pucker
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
My daily driver 74 dart has real bad control arms. I transport 2 younguns on the daily. Unfortunately it's my only running car. It constantly goes out of alignment. Control arms are the only part left for front knuckles to be all changed out. All I can find is 72's. I can't afford any of the "upgrade to disc" stuff tho I'd love to so kids are safer.

My daily driver 74 dart has real bad control arms. I transport 2 younguns on the daily. Unfortunately it's my only running car. It constantly goes out of alignment. Control arms are the only part left for front knuckles to be all changed out. All I can find is 72's. I can't afford any of the "upgrade to disc" stuff tho I'd love to so kids are safer.
so you need the drum brake uppers? If so, I'll check tonight and make sure I still have mine and if i do, they are all yours for just shipping.

so you need the drum brake uppers? If so, I'll check tonight and make sure I still have mine and if i do, they are all yours for just shipping.

FYI.
There is no difference in upper control arms, between disc brakes, or drum brakes, on big ball joint, 73-76 A body cars.
They are all the same.
After all these years, don't know why that misconception still exists.
And then, 62-72 UCA's are also the same, wether disc, or drum brakes.

If you can't find any on this forum, check ebay.
There is always somebody selling them, on that site.

Why not just rebuild yours, or have a knowledgeable, mechanic, shop, rebuild, what you already have.
Not hard to do, with the proper tools.

If you purchase somebody's old, used, worn out, UCA's your gonna, hafta, rebuild them anyway, before you put them back into use.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have eBay and PayPal. My buddy told me my other dart needs less work so I'm fixing this one until I can get enough saved for those parts. As of now getting rides is difficult for 4 passengers lol I can't wait to get out of the in-laws passenger seat

FYI.
There is no difference in upper control arms, between disc brakes, or drum brakes, on big ball joint, 73-76 A body cars.
They are all the same.
To be clear mine is a factory /6

FYI.
They are all the same.

hate to say this, but you are partially wrong sir. My 1974 dart came with 9 inch front drum brakes, I tried to put the spindles from a 74 dart sport with disc onto the the drum brake uppers, the ball joint itself on the top, wouldnt go into the spindle. So I had to go back to the junkyard get the uppers from the donor car and that worked.

Now, I did learn that supposedly the 10 inch drum brakes had the same balljoint as the disc brake cars from 73-76. But I do not know that for a fact.

Or does this mean the a arms do not need to be changed for disc swap?
Yep, that's not hard to figure out from previous replies.

hate to say this, but you are partially wrong sir. My 1974 dart came with 9 inch front drum brakes, I tried to put the spindles from a 74 dart sport with disc onto the the drum brake uppers, the ball joint itself on the top, wouldnt go into the spindle. So I had to go back to the junkyard get the uppers from the donor car and that worked.

Now, I did learn that supposedly the 10 inch drum brakes had the same balljoint as the disc brake cars from 73-76. But I do not know that for a fact.
Mine are 10 inch

Your 74 did not ever leave the factory with 9 inch drum brakes.
There never was any 9 inch parts in Ma Mopars inventory to build a car on the assembly line with 9 inch drum brakes.
Some early 73's were known to exist with 9 inches, but nothing else, until they used up the parts they had left over in inventory.
Sure, your 74 could have 9 incher's but somebody changed over to those parts earlier in it's life.
With a 40+ year old car, your gonna have to prove that it was factory built that way.
This has been hashed out numerous times throughout the years, on this site, and others.

IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg
IMAG0002.jpg

Your 74 did not ever leave the factory with 9 inch drum brakes.
There never was any 9 inch parts in Ma Mopars inventory to build a car on the assembly line with 9 inch drum brakes.
Some early 73's were known to exist with 9 inches, but nothing else, until they used up the parts they had left over in inventory.
Sure, your 74 could have 9 incher's but somebody changed over to those parts earlier in it's life.
With a 40+ year old car, your gonna have to prove that it was factory built that way.

This has been hashed out numerous times throughout the years, on this site, and others.
The bold is very true. However, it doesnt change the fact of what i said as to the 10inch brakes vs the 9 inch brake uppers.

9 inch Drum brakes, Small ball joint, upper control arms.
10 inch Drum brakes, 73-76 Cars, Big ball joint.
Simple, easy, peasy.

9 inch Drum brakes, Small ball joint, upper control arms.
10 inch Drum brakes, 73-76 Cars, Big ball joint.
Simple, easy, peasy.
thats exactly what i said above..........

Wow, no wonder your looking for replacement upper control arms.
Your picture showing rust through, that UCA?
I to this day, can't figure out how you guys in the rust belt states repair, work, on things like that.
I'me California, so i guess I'me spoiled, as i don't see anything like that, out here in the western states.

Wow, no wonder your looking for replacement upper control arms.
Your picture showing rust through, that UCA?
I to this day, can't figure out how you guys in the rust belt states repair, work, on things like that.
I'me California, so i guess I'me spoiled, as i don't see anything like that, out here in the western states.
here? Good Catch!

1502467362298-496666306.jpg

ball joint also looks toast

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back