-
Status
Not open for further replies.

DART DAD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
i HAVE A 1975 DART SWINGER SPECIAL. THE 75 HAS THE IMPACT COLLAPSIBLE BUMPER MOUNTS. I AM LOOKING FOR THE BRACKETS BOTH FRONT AND REAR SO THAT I CAN GET RID OF THE RUBBER SPACER AND PULL THE BUMPERS IN. I AM IN IL 60119

The '73 rear brackets won't work. One of the two mounting bolts on each side is located right smack where the "cylinder" passes through the rear panel.

I haven't checked the front ones to see if there is a similar problem.

That's not to say a little fabricating couldn't be done to make them work...

I made a set for a '76 Dart Sport once out of flat plate and 1 1/4" tubing. Much lighter than the shocks and I could put the bumper where I wanted it. I've also heard you can drill holes through the shocks and push them in where you want and weld them up. Seems to me like that would make a big mess though (gas charged oil).

hey, I have a 76 Duster with the shock bumpers. I drilled 2 holes in the shock to allow air to get in and pulled the bumper in to where it would be if you use the regular brackets and then I welded the shock back and it looks great. Drill the holes in the bottom and allow the oil to drain first. I took the bumper off and drilled it and then turned the bumper over and drained it into an oil pan.

I totally disasembled my shock bumper mounts. drained the oil and removed the springs and shock pistons. I mounted them back up and pushed them in to where I wanted them and welded them there. Takes a little time but costs nothing and looks good.

Well I was hoping to loose those extremly heavy backing plates. They have got to be about 75lbs each. I think I may have to go to a 72? Ill let you know if I find a year that works.

Well I was hoping to loose those extremly heavy backing plates. They have got to be about 75lbs each. I think I may have to go to a 72? Ill let you know if I find a year that works.

72 back end is way different. Not just a switch bumpers thing. It can be done but not so easely as drilling out the shock mounts is.

Check it out.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=74138

You could fab somthing up and make your own mounts for your 75 bumper. BTW I weighed my 75 Dusters rear bumper and shock mounts and it was 85 pounds.

A nother option may be to use a fiberglass bumper and fab up some mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back