-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ifishinbc

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm in need of the cross shaft, spider gears, and thrust washers for a cone style sure grip. I know this is a long shot as they are all likely in the same shape as the parts I have.

View attachment 1715096705
IMG_4859.JPG
View attachment 1715096705
you have pics of yours?
Yes

You can use a cross shaft out of a open carrier. Also if you hone the spiders you till they spin free on the cross shaft, you can run it like that. I have done that on several cone SG's.

You can use a cross shaft out of a open carrier. Also if you hone the spiders you till they spin free on the cross shaft, you can run it like that. I have done that on several cone SG's.
Thanks for the info. I had heard that the open cross shaft can be used, but with a modification. Not sure what the mod is though.
Where can I purchase the open style cross shaft?

They are pretty common, the open shafts are a little shorter and a tiny bit bigger in diameter, I have been able to chuck them up in a lath and uses Crocus or emery cloth to reduce the diameter. It doesn't take much.

They are pretty common, the open shafts are a little shorter and a tiny bit bigger in diameter, I have been able to chuck them up in a lath and uses Crocus or emery cloth to reduce the diameter. It doesn't take much.
I did notice the measured shaft diameter was different.
My thrust washers are showing some wear also. Just run them too?
My case, shaft bore is showing some wear also. The shaft has obviously spun in the bore at some point.

Well if the case halves are showing wear or are to loose, You need a another case. Can you post a picture?

Also if the pin turned in the case halves, inspect the cones bottoms. I'd almost guarantee the cones bottomed out in the case halves.

Also if the pin turned in the case halves, inspect the cones bottoms. I'd almost guarantee the cones bottomed out in the case halves.
Absolutely the cones had bottomed out, which is why there is all this gear damage.
When I bought the pumpkin section, the vendor said it was rebuilt, so parts of it were. The cones have been machined, and shims installed.
I paid a good dollar for this unit, hence my search for some good used parts to try and make it work again without spending too much more $$$ on it.
I appreciate your help on this as I am no expert on these units, but I do know wear when I see it. I'm just not sure how much of it I can get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back