Warning about counterfeit parts

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Warning about Speedmaster79, sold by Summit Racing.(and probably others)
This guy seems to be mostly Ford, but I don’t think it matters.
What I think really matters is that Summit Racing sells it.
A Chinese rip off with the actual US builders name on it.

That's BS that they copied their name but there are no International patents on that part I bet. How about a copyright on their name or logo? It doesn't make it right but it is what it is. Like 99% of the repop parts on the planet now. Made in China or wherever and as close to an exact copy of the original part as money will buy.

This is why I enjoy the rebuild x or j heads and everyone loves this Chinese stuff. Believe its the be all and end all of cylinder head problem solving.( that and everyone here seems to be Ricky racer but thats another debate) I hope the price of the X and J cores comes after everyone decides they are junk, but I doubt it will. :)

Surprising that they had the nuts to put the guy's name on it. That's some bullshit. At the very least, they could've put their name on the copied design like the do with the cylinder heads they produce.
:poke:

So far on here ii learned Speedmasters are a great alternative over rebuilding cast. They are aluminum and port work guys like porting aluminum its easier quicker cleaner etc.
Speedmasters for the most part people buy them and send them out to be gone over hey are not direct bolt on or expect possible issues if you do.
I attest for s tock street build on a budget rebuilt cast may work for some people who aren't racing (they worked on the street in the 70s ) and come in 2 to 300 dollars or more cheaper than speedmasters with the seemingly required machne work..just another point of view there anre always more than one point of view .

That's BS that they copied their name but there are no International patents on that part I bet. How about a copyright on their name or logo? It doesn't make it right but it is what it is. Like 99% of the repop parts on the planet now. Made in China or wherever and as close to an exact copy of the original part as money will buy.
China doesn't recognize patents

Man that is really messed up ****, saw summit is allegedly saying they are pulling that product off website and not selling the inventory but then the next question is, well shouldn’t all Speedmaster be pulled because it’s all knock off product

Summit was selling it? Summit stops selling it like after inventors lawyers sent them a letter?

So far on here ii learned Speedmasters are a great alternative over rebuilding cast. They are aluminum and port work guys like porting aluminum its easier quicker cleaner etc.
Speedmasters for the most part people buy them and send them out to be gone over hey are not direct bolt on or expect possible issues if you do.
I attest for s tock street build on a budget rebuilt cast may work for some people who aren't racing (they worked on the street in the 70s ) and come in 2 to 300 dollars or more cheaper than speedmasters with the seemingly required machne work..just another point of view there anre always more than one point of view .

Man that is really messed up ****, saw summit is allegedly saying they are pulling that product off website and not selling the inventory but then the next question is, well shouldn’t all Speedmaster be pulled because it’s all knock off product

This is not Speedmaster.
It’s Speedmaster79, but now I see why some think it is.
The (79) makes all the difference here.

I think you will find that Speedmaster79 IS Speedmaster, its just their website name.
I have bought most of my speedmaster stuff directly from them..... during their black friday sales, at too-good-to-be-true prices.
That said, there are several American brand speedparts being (or were) counterfeited in China, notably msd and autometer.

I think you will find that Speedmaster79 IS Speedmaster, its just their website name.
I have bought most of my speedmaster stuff directly from them..... during their black friday sales, at too-good-to-be-true prices.
That said, there are several American brand speedparts being (or were) counterfeited in China, notably msd and autometer.

I just looked up both domain registration records and they are different.
Speedmaster79.com is registered out of Tempe Arizona.

Speedmaster.com is registered out of Germany.

I just looked up both domain registration records and they are different.
Speedmaster79.com is registered out of Tempe Arizona.

Speedmaster.com is registered out of Germany.
And yet speedmaster is in Southern california., or at least their warehouse is.
And Speedmaster79 is who I've bought my speedmaster stuff from, Directly. (Victor rocker arms, yeah, I know a gamble, and a topend kit for a bbc for ridiculously little money)

Speedmaster79 is the "Speedmaster" that is referred to often by folks on this site with respect to their cylinder heads, 40% off sale, rocker arms, etc., and the video in the first post. Speedmaster79 is their website.

Last edited:
And yet speedmaster is in Southern california., or at least their warehouse is.
And Speedmaster79 is who I've bought my speedmaster stuff from, Directly. (Victor rocker arms, yeah, I know a gamble, and a topend kit for a bbc for ridiculously little money)

Speedmaster79 is the "Speedmaster" that is referred to often by folks on this site with respect to their cylinder heads, 40% off sale, rocker arms, etc., and the video in the first post. Speedmaster79 is their website.

Ok, I see both addresses are apparently the ligit sites for Speedmaster.
So Summit Racing is selling Chinese rip offs of a aftermarket parts manufacturer/seller in the US and putting the name of the real company on their parts.
Then the real guy is getting support calls about the counterfeit parts failing because the buyers thought they were getting the real thing.
That’s messed up.

Shitty Chinese parts is one thing, but putting US manufactured names on them means someone needs their *** kicked.

Yup, they screwed the pooch on this one! Someone forgot to tell the Chinese to leave the name off. Oops!!!!

Sucks for the little guy trying to make it.

Guess what, Speedmaster? I'm the smallest of customers you had, (emphasis on HAD). But there's no way I'd buy another Speedmaster product.

Just like the guy in the video is saying Holley and Edelbrock are getting ripped off too by Chinese knockoffs.

Wanted an Edelbrock for my latest project, went to ebay and found a lot of Edelbrock Replacement Carbs as they call them (Chinese knockoffs).

Knew right away those were going to be trouble.

I wanted the real deal Edelbrock, that is the last area that I don't want to screw around with cause a carb won't work right.

Found a good used Edelbrock, opened it up cleaned it and inspected it, put it back together and works 100%.

That is why I buy the Real Deal Edelbrocks. And this particular used Edelbrock was 1/2 the price of the new Chinese knockoffs.

Knowing what you are looking for > the real deal.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yup, they screwed the pooch on this one! Someone forgot to tell the Chinese to leave the name off. Oops!!!!

Sucks for the little guy trying to make it.
Yep, best case for Speedmaster is they found an existing counterfeit parts operation, asked "Could you put our logo on it instead?" - then didn't check when the parts arrived. That's at least slightly defensible - "We're trying to get counterfeiting operations to act more like legit contract manufacturers" - but trusting them completely with QC would be a seriously dumb move. Worst case, Speedmaster themselves are also selling counterfeit parts themselves through another name, and put the wrong inventory in the box.

-
Back