Water/Alcohol Injection

-

GT340

Original Owner
Reaction score
I've been researching water/alcohol injection for my MOPAR. Right now I buy 118 octane racing fuel ( $70+ for 5 gallons) and mix it with 6 gallons of 91 octane for every gallon of 118. My engine needs at least 95 octane or else it detonates with even mild acceleration. I can dial back my advance to zero and it still pings under very light acceleration.

So, I've been looking at installing a water/alcohol injection system. The claims from all companies that sell them sounds encouraging, but, I'm a sceptic. Plus they're not inexpensive. In the long run the money up front would pay for itself, if they actually work. I need a system that starts injecting under very mild acceleration that works with a carb'd engine.

I get very poor gas milage due to how radical the engine is and can only drive short distances due to not wanting to carry extra 118 fuel in the trunk. So a water/alcohol injection system would allow me to travel further and use 91 when I need fuel while out of the area.

Anyone have knowledge or experience of one of these systems?

Thanks in advance.

Methanol injection works, but it is not a cure all.

Generally methanol injection is used under boost to cool a charge. Running methanol injection at part throttle all the time will require a good sized tank.

So called "water" injection systems can not fix a compression issue, and were built for use under boost. Running straight water all the time can be hard on an engine as well - corrosion & pitting in the chambers & cylinders.

Double check your AFR in the "ping" range. Buy / borrow a datalogger like an LM1 with an O2 sensor to be sure this is not just a transient lean situation.

As for mixing race gas to reach 95 octane - I prefer to use toluene. 2 gallons of toluene in 10 gallons of 91 pump gas takes you to the 95 octane level. Toluene is a great booster, because it is very resistant to detonation. It is also widely available, and a couple of sealed 1 gallon cans in the trunk for backup is easy enough.

Running a water / methanol injection system can have a benefit. But you should be running that when the secondaries are wide open, not at part throttle.

Good luck with your project.

B.

The only problem with toluene is that it will KILL you. This stuff is highly toxic. Look it up.

The only problem with toluene is that it will KILL you. This stuff is highly toxic. Look it up.

Bullshit. There is a percentage of toluene or xylene range hydrocarbons in gasoline.

Ever look at what is in a rattle can? A can of brake or carb cleaner?

Unless you plan to pour the toluene in a paper bag & huff it, it is no more dangerous than the gasoline in the tank already.

Methylene Chloride? yes, that would be more dangerous - in fact they banned it's use in consumer products in the EU last year. Still used in consumer products in the USA

2-Butoxyethanol ? Now there is some nasty stuff. the industrial exposure limit is 20 ppm that is 20 parts per million - yet I bet I can still find it used in some paint formulas, and a fuel injector cleaner.

Next time you are in the auto parts store, grab a can of Berryman's ChemTool, and read the label. Plenty of things far worse than toluene sitting on the shelf at AutoZone or Home Depot.

Sheesh. Toluene. Freaking chicks take their nail polish off with stronger solvents.

B.

-
Back