water/meth or not

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
hey all.....after my sudden introduction to engine failure caused by the water/meth failing on the dyno at WOT, I am considering losing the WM.
what I thought was to run a safe 6-8 psi tune for the street on 95 pump gas and then using C16 or similar race gas for the strip to 18psi ish.
would just have a separate fuel cell for race gas.
I just don't trust the water/meth no more.

opinions appreciated. cheers

I see no issue with running water meth. I was told I could even run straight water. So I will in future.

I feel your pain I do, forgot to check my meth and motor was tuned to it and went way lean and melted two pistons. I would still run it just to help control the knock and push the regular gas a bit more. Course I ran. Straight meth on my motor. I would run it just dont tune the car fully to it this time around but keep it as a booster on demand so to speak if its set to come on at a certain boost. My .02

I got a AEM 30-3300 kit. works on internal map sensor. it was set to come on at 4 psi and spray to a max of 20 psi. it is progressive. the last few days I have hooked up a small air regulator to it to simulate boost and the damn thing won't fault. go figure:wack:
the previous dyno session a week earlier it worked faultlessly.
AEM do a Failsafe add on that logs the system etc. may be worth looking into.
we were at 640 ish rwhp when the piston said "ENOUGH". was about to get the camera rolling for the next pull. oh well.
putting ali heads on this time round. and have filled the block to 1" below the water inlet holes.

so water/meth 50/50 is the go then.

It sucks but just on that day the system decided to have a hiccup. I would still use it and add the fail safe. Keeps better control of the heat and knock.

My uncles 498" procharged belvedere melted some pistons, later on fond tha the water meth system was faulty, he runs 18lb as well. Now he runs c16 and doesnt rely on a meth injection. just spends more n gas, beter safe than sorry

that is my concern, is that it happened once, who's to say it won't happen again. read on another forum where the AEM Failsafe failed and lunched a new engine.

does C16 have the same control on det as water/meth

Not really but you do have to jet up I've heard 4 sizes for the c16. When I had meth even after I melted me two Pistons I kept it and still pushed 20+psi on my neon srt4

are you running some other kind of intercooler? im running 20psi with a large fmic, i watch the afr like a hawk and havent had a problem yet.

yeah, I run a large 600mmx300mmx75mm intercooler 3" in/out with 3.5" piping turbo to carb

Not really but you do have to jet up I've heard 4 sizes for the c16. When I had meth even after I melted me two Pistons I kept it and still pushed 20+psi on my neon srt4

so C16 is less efficient at taming det as apposed to water/meth.

I run a 600mmx300mmx75mm tube and fin intercooler. 3.5" tubing turbo to carb.

I would say yes since its alchol bases not gas. Unless someone thinks different just my .02. You sould call Rodney at AIS (alcohol injection system) the guy is super smart and knows meth injection.

My uncle talked to steve morris and apparently he said c16 is formulatedfor nitrous and blower appications, i think hea also going to get prolly an air to ir intercooler

looks like I will now retain the water/meth and put some sort of safe guard in place.
spoke to a couple of reputable engine builders today and they both said that C16 will not deal with AIT and detonation like water/meth will.

thanks for the input guys

-
Back