water pump broke, where'd the teeth go?

-

DusterJohn

Reaction score
hi everybody so my water pump broke the other day and when i took it off to replace i noticed all the teeth on the fan inside were broken off but i cant flush them out or feel them anywhere. where could they have gone I'm sacred to put on a new water pump because they might be stuck somewhere and come loose and destroy my new one. should i worry about it or not?

They are probably stuck in the block water jacket somewhere.

so what do i have to do to get them, i don't really know where that is?

If they got into the water jacket of the block, it is very unlikely that they will come back out. They can get lodged in-between the bores or at the bottom of the water jacket. Then would have to climb back up to get through the timing chain cover to the water pump again, and I don't think that there is enough "current" to pick them up and find the hole...

They will probably be tricky to get out if you had the block torn down with all of the freeze plugs out...

Or is it possible that they went to the radiator? Pull the lower radiator hose and see if you can find it in there or the bottom radiator inlet...

fish around with a magnet...

i bet if pull the front frost plugs you will find them. i say run it

ok thanks everybody i think ill just put it all back together, my dad told me to put screens in the hoses is that a good idea?

ok thanks everybody i think ill just put it all back together, my dad told me to put screens in the hoses is that a good idea?

I wouldn't, it will restrict flow and could cause overheating..

You may cause one problem trying to fix another... :banghead:

-
Back