Water pump differences

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
I have a 318 in the car now but i'm putting in a 360 come fall.the water pump outlet is on the opposite side for the radiator. Is there any concerns if i use the 318 water pump.also the 360 is not stock (cam/intake/carb/pistons/ect) should i use a high volumn water pump. Thanks

Since it's not stock I would switch it to the later style configuration with the lower hose on the passenger side, there is more aftermarket available for this style than the older style with driver side lower hose, also the timing cover and balancer is different and you can't use the 318 balancer on the 360 unless you have the engine internally balanced.

I think that you can just switch parts from your 318 to the front of your 360. If your 318 has the timing marks cast into the timing chain cover then switch over the cover & water pump & all of your current drive accessories with their brackets, like alternator, power steering pump or whatever you have. If you have a bolt on timing tab you could probably skip switching timing covers & just move the tab over. You might have to use a file to elongate one of the holes in your crank pulley to make it fit the 360 damper. Use a positive stop in the number one spark plug hole to find TDC & make a new mark to correspond with the early timing tab. You might want to get a water pump specified for an AC car since I think it has more vanes in it & is supposed to help cooling but I'd probably try what I had first. Same goes for the radiator. Try it & see if it's enough. I'm kinda' old school down & dirty.

Switching to the later setup gives you access to a lot more options but it moves things closer to the radiator because the water pump has a longer snout. Lot's more involved if you go that route.

i had a 273 in a 68dart that i swapped a 318 into they had different locations on the lower rad hose so i switched them no problems or you could do what my dad told me get some short flex hose run it down by the k-frame attach it to a pipe that was secured to the k-frame then another short flex hose to connect it to the radiator it was shortly followed by FINE DONT LISTEN TO THE OLD MAN lol

Try what you have first, but my 340 likes to get hot. I have the 3 row radiator gutted t-stat.... I'm thinking of updating/upgrading to the later model style myself.

I have a 318 in the car now but i'm putting in a 360 come fall.the water pump outlet is on the opposite side for the radiator. Is there any concerns if i use the 318 water pump.also the 360 is not stock (cam/intake/carb/pistons/ect) should i use a high volumn water pump. Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I want to keep the radiator in the car as the top of the rad. is polished.

Hate to barge in....can someone tell me the difference in length between the LA and mag water pumps and if they are interchangeable? Can the v belt pullies and serp pulleys be swapped onto different pumps as long as it's a bolt on pulley?

The LA pumps from what I have seen are longer...but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the responses. I want to keep the radiator in the car as the top of the rad. is polished.

If you keep the older radiator with the 360, you will need to keep the older style water pump as well and you will have issues seeing the timing mark. You can use the older timing cover but the balancer is different and won't work on the 360

If you want to keep the original radiator then you can do as I stated in my above post & you should be good to go. Just switch things over from the front of the old motor onto the new one & make a new TDC mark on the 360 damper.

-
Back