Water pump engine mount 440

-
It pretty much overheats all the time. I thought I had it all worked out at one point where it was staying at 190 but then it started getting hot again. It overheats in just about any condition rigt now. I just can't figure it out. Once it starts getting hot I shut it off and it boils over and starts puking out of the overflow. I just bought a new cap and that don't work. So I'm kind of lost now

change the thermostat maybe it not opening causing it to overflow/heat up (always start with the cheapest option first) and (always do things one at a time((take your time)) ... is you hose at the top of radiator and to the thermostat getting the balloon effect?

also maybe check your water temperature gauge .. maybe FAULTY.... mine was.

i got mine at a steady 180/190 right now.

before you you replace with new thermostat , maybe a good idea to run the car without a thermostat (temporarily) to see if it still over heats? or if your getting the same symptoms.

also don't use water ... go out and get something that wont corrode the inside of your engine.

Yup its overheating. I thought I had it all figured out because it would just run a 195 for awhile then it started getting hot again and overheating. Sometimes the temp will slowly creep up and up and sometimes it doesnt even slow down. I've changed the thermostat i've changed the radiator cap, purged all the air and it still does it. It will over heat driving or idling. I just don't know what else there is without tearing it apart!

Also if i shut it down because it starts getting hot, the coolant will boil over and puke out of the overflow

are you sure your installing the thermostat correctly?
is you thermostat a 180? 160? 190?

do you have photos of your cooling system and hoses?

did it still over heat with the new water pump?

It overheats without the thermostat installed so it can't be that. its a 195 thermostat. I don't have photos right now its all apart, also I haven't bought a new water pump yet.

Any white smoke when you first start the engine out the tailpipes?
If so I would pull the plugs and look for any sign of coolant on the plugs, they will be white if anti-freeze is leaking into the cyl.

when you removed your water pump was the bearing in good condition meaning was is spinning freely and correctly? looks pretty corroded:burnout:...

no leaks around the heads?

Yes there is a little bit of white smoke when its first started, but i pulled a plug out the other day and it looked fine. The oil isn't milky either

Yup water pump still spins nicely. I haven't seen any leaks around the heads

i hate overheating problems...just sitting at an idle in the garage it overheats? or only when driving? have a shroud or proper elect/ or properly spaced regular fan?

It overheats without the thermostat installed so it can't be that. its a 195 thermostat. I don't have photos right now its all apart, also I haven't bought a new water pump yet.

i dont think its the water pump itself... it looked good..

Haha me too I've been fighting this one for 2 years! It overheats both sitting and driving. It does have a shroud and a mechanical flex fan but the shroud is too big. Since it's such a big motor in a demon it's all offset a little so the fan is not centered in the shroud. I would put some pics up but it's all torn apart right now. I wouldn't think it's a fan problem though of it still over heats when driving at 50 miles an hour. ThTs plenty of wind

One thing I did notice when I took off the overflow tank is there was a ton of air in it. I tipped it upside down and it took a few seconds for coolant to drain and when it did it felt like pouring water out of a gallon jug. Very bubbly

not sure how you have the hoses all ran but, my 440 use to get air bound pretty easy.
I had all the heater hoses off and plugged all the holes. I use to drill a couple 1/8 in holes in the t stat to let air out. I would even pull one of the plugs when filling it. did it sit with straight water in it for a while? or half full? that's an odd water mark on the impeller of that water pump.

I've got two 1/8" holes in the tstat right now. There is no heater so all those holes are plugged. Last time I filled i took the top hose off the housing and filled it to the top from there and then I filled the rest of the radiator up after that and I tried to bleed all the air out that I could. Still overheated.

I just pulled all the plugs that I could get to and number three is the worst I saw. Does this look like coolant in the cylinder?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 181
Is it a 440 source water pump housing, with the lower rad hose on the passenger side??
If so replace the housing , there very restrictive.

I don't think it is i don't see the emblem anywhere on it plus it doesn't feel very restrictive to me. The lower radiator hose goes on the drivers side of the housing. I did read a post about those pumps and how one big tell tale sign is having a very hot top half of the motor even though it doesn't read too hot. That seems like whats going on with mine too, the fan seems to blow very hot air but I don't think the housing is the problem.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html

Here's the post I read about the 440 source housings

maybe the heads are the issue... might have a cracked somewhere.

i didn't want it to get to this but might be.

whatever it is keep us posted/updated on this.

and if you ever find a solution let us know.

Take the radiator out and take it to your local radiator shop for a check. Can't cost much and
it is an unknown at this point. Eliminate the possibility.

Im hoping its not the heads but that is pretty much the only thing i can think of besides the head gaskets. I could take the radiator down to a shop and have it checked out but finding a shop around here would be difficult. I was thinking about getting a new champion aluminum crossflow 3 row core radiator because i think that would do the trick if it was the radiator

Hope you get it figured out .The Texas heat is tough on my car I'm changing to a mildon waterpump and a bigger fan

very true - eliminate all things that need replacing but start from the cheapest. check radiator before you move into the heads.

i'd switch out the water pump and housing to be absolutely sure - take some photos of the engine i am corious to see the set up you have and how you have the heater plugged.

you Burped it right?

im sure you made sure to exhaust any air in the cooling system?

just wondering... sometimes its the easiest of things.

I did. I bought one of those spill free funnels where you can seal it off and run it with the funnel on and thats supposed to bubble out any air while the coolant circulates. Ive done that probably 5 or 6 times running it for about 20 minutes or so, sometimes it seems to stop around 190 and sometimes it just keeps creeping up. The last time i did it I saw a lot of little tiny bubbles when it was idling and if i'm not mistaken that is a leaking head gasket. But it would go away and seem to smooth out when revved. I've focused a lot on trying to get any air out because I know that could be a big culprit. But it just tests me or something because I've had it where it didn't overheat and then it did again and I didn't open up the cooling system at all.

-
Back