Water pump pulley diameter

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
A recent thread made me question if I have the correct water pump pulley diameter.

There seems to be two sizes available for the big blocks,
6.750" or 5.938"

Which would be the desired pulley diameter?

What is your crank pully dia.

Crank dia / Waterpump dia x 100 = %

JUST NUMBERS FOR EXAMPLE
(6.5 / 6) x 100 = 108% or 8 percent overdriven

(6.5 / 6.75) x 100 = 96.3 or 3.7 percent underdriven

That will give you a ratio of crank to Waterpump. One i suspect will be underdriven and one will be overdriven.

The waterpump you have will need to match the situation.

Can't say for BB but in SB there us a relation like ( and someone correct me if i have this backwards) AC and HD cooling were overdriven BUT the waterpump had fewer vanes. Standard cooling was underdriven but had more vanes.

Last edited:
What is your crank pully dia.

Crank dia / Waterpump dia x 100 = %

JUST NUMBERS FOR EXAMPLE
(6.5 / 6) x 100 = 108% or 8 percent overdriven

(6.5 / 6.75) x 100 = 96.3 or 3.7 percent underdriven

That will give you a ratio of crank to Waterpump. One i suspect will be underdriven and one will be overdriven.

The waterpump you have will need to match the situation.

Can't say for BB but in SB there us a relation like ( and someone correct me if i have this backwards) AC and HD cooling were overdriven BUT the waterpump had fewer vanes. Standard cooling was underdriven but had more vanes.

more pulley sizes than those !

Subscribed, i have a non ac pump pulley on my 360, but i have a seperate ac pulley that is about 2/3 the diameter of the non ac one, i also have a hi vol pump and if i have any cooling problems i will but on the ac pulley. It is my understanding that the smaller ac pulley will druve the rpm's up by
30%

There is about 10 different sizes. from 6 1/4 to 7 1/4. Same with the crank pulleys, a few different sizes. Kim

Last edited:
There is about 10 different sizes. from 6 1/4 to 7 1/4. Same with the crank pulleys, a few different sizes. Kim

I plan to take a crank pulley diameter and water pump diameter and post them in this thread to get some accurate recommendations for my water pump pulley diameter.

-
Back