Water pump question

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I presently have the front of my 318 apart for a cam installation and my water pump connects to the lower radiator on the passenger side of the car, even though the bottom radiator connection is on the drivers side, with a Rube Goldberg type of connected hoses to make the connection. My question is this, is there a water pump available that has the water pump to lower radiator connection on the drivers side of the water pump? Seems I recall Adam or another of our members mention this to another member not too long ago. If there is one, does anyone have the part number for it? Thanks Mike

69 and down cast iron water pumps are on drivers side. 70 and up aluminum water pumps are on the pass side. they each have respective pulleys and brakcets.

Food for thought - check with a rad shop to see about changing the rad connection to the passenger side- and maybe cleaning your rad. By changing the water pump to the passenger side you will have quit a time with setting the timing as it will be quit difficult to see the timing marks - especially if you have a power steering pump to contend with too.

Leo, thats a good idea. I went ahead this morning and put the water pump back on because I don't want to go thru the pulley matching thing and the timing problem. I've got the radiator out still so I'm going to check out what you mentioned. Thanks Mike

Using the early pump with a later timing cover can be done, but the lower hose does a pretty good job of blocking the mark.

If you really want to run a later pump, why not use a later radiator.

-
Back