Water pump recommendations

-

Project Beep

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This has probably been covered a bunch of times. Ok big block 512. Noticed this weekend the fan and pump pully wiggle side to side about 1/4 inch or so. Not leaking coolant yet. In looking for replacement I found a ton of options. Not sure what I have now as I didn't build motor. This one has about 10k miles on it. Never had overheat problem except once stuck in traffic. Radiator (2949 055) has larger core from Glen Ray. As my wife says I always give too much info.lol. Anyhow what are you guys using or recommend. Thanks

Stock replacement should suffice for your application. 65'

Flowcooler does make a nice product. I agree. As mentioned, they do need to be coupled with a high flow thermostat to get all of the benefits.

The only thing you know right now is the combination you have works (mostly)

What you don't know is...
  1. Is the crank pulley
    • Standard cooling
    • HD cooling
    • Trailer towing cooling
    • A/C cooling
  2. Is the water pump pulley
    • Standard cooling
    • HD cooling
    • Trailer towing cooling
    • A/C cooling
  3. Is your current water pump
    • Standard cooling
    • HD cooling
    • Trailer towing cooling
    • A/C cooling
Here's the thing...

Some cooling combinations have fewer vains but a faster shaft speed, some have a slower speed but more vains.

I would as much as I hate to suggest this..
Pull the existing and find out what you have and match it. You know it works.

Example, (hypothical) let's say you buy a HD cooling water pump, but have standard cooling pulleys. You might be running that pump too slow and create over heating issues, conversely you have HD cooling pulleys and a standard cooling wp. Now you are running it too fast and it cavatates, creating cooling issues.
AGAIN THIS IS HYPOTHICAL.

Last edited:
I had a milodon high flow water pump and a little after a year it started to drip from the weep hole, replaced with a flow kooler, at least thry have a 2 year warranty, using a milodon high flow t stat as well which has worked well

440Source makes a nice improved water pump, got mine for my 440 build...

High Flow Aluminum Water Pump - New-440 Source

Redesigned impeller for more efficient flow and less clearance to the pump housing. Just note in the description "when used with factory pump housing gasket must be .040" minimum" so likely need to stack 2 gaskets or the impeller will hit the housing.

This has probably been covered a bunch of times. Ok big block 512. Noticed this weekend the fan and pump pully wiggle side to side about 1/4 inch or so. Not leaking coolant yet. In looking for replacement I found a ton of options. Not sure what I have now as I didn't build motor. This one has about 10k miles on it. Never had overheat problem except once stuck in traffic. Radiator (2949 055) has larger core from Glen Ray. As my wife says I always give too much info.lol. Anyhow what are you guys using or recommend. Thanks
On all three of my big blocks I ran Milodon Hi volume pumps with a Milodon Hi flow T stat, they all cooled great, no issues. Tip - For the last 3 decades I have always added a can of water pump lubricate to the cooling system to lube the water pump seal and cut down on corrison, have had zero seal failures.

Last edited:
Tip - For the last 33 decades I have always added a can of water pump lubricate to the cooling system to lube the water pump seal and cut down on corrison, have had zero seal failures.

Dang I didn't know you could get a big block Chrysler V8 back in 1692!

Lol sorry couldn't resist :D

Why do you think the witch trials happened. All the Demons, Hellephants, and Hellcats!

Sorry just building on the 1692 theme

Lol sorry couldn't resist :D
Dam that's some pretty fancy math work.
Picking on an old man with fingers like bandana's.
I was thinking I did well just gett'n everything spelled right. LOL
Now that I'm looking at it wouldn't the year be 1689 as this decade has not yet be completed.

Last edited:
Dam that's some pretty fancy math work.
Picking on an old man with fingers like bandana's.
I was thinking I did well just gett'n everything spelled right. LOL
Now that I'm looking at it wouldn't the year be 1689 as this decade has not yet be completed.

Lol idk I just did 2022-330 and got 1692. Didn't want to think about it too much, figured it would get the point across hahaha. I always make mistakes when typing too but I'm super obsessive-compulsive about proofreading so I always have to read over a message or text before sending lol.

-
Back