Water temp and oil pressure gauges.

Slant 6 Engines

1. Naplm00

Naplm00 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:10 AM
    if your car came with a oil pressure gauge: yes
    If you car only came with an idiot light: No

Good news is that you can retain the idiot light AND add an oil pressure gauge. you can get a combo sender that fits in the 1/8npt port on the rear of the engine that the idiot light sender fits into.

150 PSI Warning Contact 11.4 PSI 1/8-27 30/15 | Pressure Sensor with Warning Contact | Pressure Sensors & Switches | Senders and Sensors | VDO Instruments and Accessories

just as an example here is VDO sender that can send up to 150 PSI oil pressure and has a warning light at 11.4 PSI that you can use the existing idiot light circuit.

2. Mike69cuda

Mike69cuda 64 is the new 17 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:10 PM
    I don’t know if there are 10-80 Ohm aftermarket gauges that would work with an oem oil sender. I think most are 10-180 ohms as I recall.

Probably cheaper & easier to go with matched aftermarket gaugE and sender.

There isn’t much room on a small block for two senders. It can be done, but pretty hard to avoid vacuum can on distributor.

3. Dartvader440gt

Dartvader440gt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:10 PM
    And this will work with a /6 sending unit near the distributor?

4. Naplm00

Naplm00 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:10 AM
    dont see why not . but my /6 sender is at the side of the block on the distributor side near the rear of the engine

EDIT: mine is 1/8 npt you would have to check what threads yours is in a different location. they make all different types

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  5. 65 Cuda 340

65 Cuda 340 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I have mechanical water temperature and oil pressure gauges in my 63 Valiant.

Here's where the water temp bulb is on mine - in the front of the head above the upper heater hose, between the valve cover and the alternator bracket. Been a long time since I put it in, but I don't recall having to drill/tap any holes.

20200821_085431.jpg

The oil pressure line hooks to the oil filter adapter in the original idiot light hole. I used to have a T fitting so I could hook up both the gauge and the idiot light, but the T fitting (brass) eventually broke, so I just eliminated it and the idiot light. A steel T fitting probably would probably last forever, but I just haven't bothered.

As you can see, it took a couple extra fittings to hook up, but they are readily available at most any auto parts store.

20200821_085745.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dartvader440gt

Dartvader440gt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Yes, I am going to try to do the oil pressure soon. The water temp was 1/8" npt on the front of my block. Your oil fitting looks to be 3/8" npt going in the block.

• Furyus67

Furyus67 Active Member

Local Time:
      This is the first time I've seen a sender like this. Could I use this sender in conjunction with my AutoMeter Z-Series electric oil pressure gauge? Would I be able to retain the use of the factory dummy light connection, and run one connection to the new Oil pressure gauge?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.