Waterless car wash

-

clhyer

Reaction score
I think a couple years ago I requested info on waterless car washes and said that I would report back after I had tried it out. Herewith, my mini report:

My interest in trying this product out is due to wanting to keep the cars clean year round and being able to wash them any day, in the garage. Cold winter day - no problem; hot rainy day during the summer, but just before a car show - no problem; not enough time today or tomorrow to do a complete wash - no problem; on the road traveling to a car show or cruise in - no problem. You get the idea. Convenience. And I can add one more. Simply - the ability to wash the car on any given day. We have had water restrictions in this area before; in California today I can see where you might be having issues with water restrictions. These products can still keep your ride in a nice, clean condition.

In my area I have found two different products. Spray On Car Wash, by Griot's Garage is available locally at Advance Auto Parts; and a second product recommended to me called Wash Wax All by Aero Cosmetics and available to me in a nearby town at a small plane/airport supply house. I've not found any others to try out, so my report is comparing these two products. Both products are used in the same way. Simply spray a small area, use a micro fiber towel to wipe off and use a second - dry micro fiber towel to buff dry. You only spray a small area as you are not to let it dry. In practice they both work in this manner. Bugs up front, and serious road grime on the lower rear quarters may require a second application. I also let the product sit and soak a little longer on those tougher areas. My normal wash routine is to start on the roof and do 1/4 at a time, doing 1/2 of front along with A pillar, move to 1/2 of back and B pillar, change sides and do the other half. Then hood and cowl in same manner. Trunk in halves. Then I move to the sides going from front to rear on the top halves or a lower body line; and then I tackle the tail panel, front end, lower sides and last, wheels and caps. I probably use about 6 12-15" square microfiber clothes to do the job. When the first cloth is soaked or dirty, I use the second drying cloth to wash with and bring in the 3rd clean cloth to buff dry with and rotate the towels out in this manner.

They both claim to be the best. Here are my results having used them both over the course of the past year and a half or so:

Griot's Garage Spray on Car Wash - The product pretty much delivers what it claims. It goes on easy, it wipes off easy. It leaves a great polished and waxed type of finish. It is available wherever you have Advance Auto Supply (which has been everywhere I have been with my cars - on the east coast). You can also order it directly from www.griotsgarage.com It is pricey, at close to $15 for a 22 oz bottle which I can get about 5 or 6 washes from. You can soften this a bit by ordering from www.advanceautoparts.com as they usually have a 15-20% discount by ordering from their web page and you can order it and pick it up 15 minutes later at the store.

Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All - This product also pretty much delivers what it claims. It goes on easy, it wipes off easy, although not quite as easy as Griot's. This product also leaves a great polished and waxed type of finish. This product is only available at a few locations or online. You can purchase online or search for a retailer at http://washwax.com It is much cheaper than Griot's. I believe my last gallon (128 oz.) cost me about $25 bucks or so, tax included!

Bottom line, for me is that both of these products delivered. Both are very easy to use, although Griot's has a slight edge here. Wash Wax All is significantly cheaper and when I get close to a retailer I make it a point to pick up a gallon - it last's a long time. I love the ease of use and finish they both leave on my cars. I've not performed a separate wax job on either of my cars since I started using these products. I am not a paid performer, just a satisfied customer passing my experience along. As my friend says, your results may vary!

Cal

Attachments

• DSCF9937.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC01900.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF4964.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 179
I have good luck with California dusters on my black vette.
I only hand wash it with water maybe 2 times a year, but it sits in the garage under a cover and is not driven in the rain.

California dusters fan here too.
Not sure I can get on board with the idea of wiping on a car that's dirty as it seems to me you would be scratching the finish with the dirt particles as you rub.

Not sure I can get on board with the idea of wiping on a car that's dirty as it seems to me you would be scratching the finish with the dirt particles as you rub.

I don't see any way around that. Someone please explain to me why these "dry" car washes don't scratch the finish.

I have a California duster but it is made in Korea. Works great!

So I guess it should be called a Korean duster.
I use final inspection #34 Meguiars to clean any spots or hand prints.

Car is black and it shows everything.

I use a waterless product called FW-1. I used it more than 10 years ago and have recently found it again at a demo at a Kroger store in Ga. I really like the way it shines.

I don't see any way around that. Someone please explain to me why these "dry" car washes don't scratch the finish.

Waterless car washes have emulsifiers and lubricants to break down the dirt and lift it from the surface. You should/must use a good grade towel only as it traps the dirt and keeps it off the surface. Of course it's not perfect and never try to clean mud or road salt without washing it off first

I've been using them for over 10 years and would never change

My personal preference is Ultra Luster

-
Back