waterpump suggestions?

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Have a 500+ HP smallblock on the way. Need to order a waterpump and not quite sure which way to go. No electric for me.

My builder suggested a "motorhome" pump, I'm thinking Mopar Perf 8 vane type. I need this thing to run as cool as possible, so any info would be a great help!

Or you can do some mods to the timing cover and run a true race pump which I happen to have on ebay...

Remember that it is a cooling system. If you don't have a good radiator it just won't work right. I run a hi flow pump and be cool aluminum radiator with duel electric fans.

Even when my car was in the 11s I ran a 100% stock cooling system.

Off the shelf water pump for a car with AC (because my car came with AC).

Original Radiator.

180 stat.

Stock shroud

Clutch fan

It never got hot.

I'm running a 6 blade pump in my 500+ HP small block. I had some issues with it getting hot at first, but after spacing the fan closer to the radiator and adding a shroud, I've had no problems, in fact, the temp hasn't gone higher than 1/4 up on the stock gauge.

I should be OK then. Have the factory 340 radiator, shroud and a good clutch fan. The car ran cool as a cucumber with the 340, 509 cam and headers.

Hoping for the best. Indy told me if it runs too hot, there's something wrong with the clearances,,,most likely. Hope everything's gonna be ok.

like others are hinting, the 8 blade flows more....at low speeds where it counts!

see the 6 blade is actually great at high rpm for cooling and for the fact it take less to turn it [6 blades] but at low speeds with a matched rad it does not move enough coolant-'overheat in the drivethru'

maybe if you were to use an extra capacity radiator the 6 blade would suffice, but I rec the 8 blade if you are un sure.

-
Back