Wax Pellet Thermostatic Snorkel Valve Actuator

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
I own a Mopar, but this is not about a Mopar.

I cannot find the far off topic forum. Do we have one?

Here goes..

Wax pellet thermostatic actuator like in a cooling system thermostat but in this case connected to the air door in the snorkel.

This wax pellet thermostatic acuator controls the heat door on the breather snorkel of a 390. I discovered it is not actuating because the failed wax pellet bulb.

My cool old neighbor heeds his haus beast to fire up and run smooth on cold mornings so he can drag manzanita down the mountain for a bbq and other fun crap.

Here is a paragraph from : http://www.auto-repair-help.com/auto_diagnostics/thermostatic_air_cleaner.php

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some TAC systems do not use a vacuum actuator to control the air inlet door. Instead, a sealed actuator containing wax is used. When the engine is cold, the wax solidifies and contracts, causing the door to close. As the engine warms up, the wax liquefies and expands, placing pressure on a piston that is used to actuate the door. The TAC system functions well to aid in cold start up. However, if the air cleaner door were to stay in the closed position after the engine reaches operating temperature, lack of power and hard starting could result. [/FONT]

So, his pellet failed.

Does anyone know where the heck to find a new replacement?

I have been on the internet for an hour searching every nomenclature imaginable and found jack shi$ other than descriptions of how they work.

I can modify the door to operate off a manual choke setup from inside the cab but that is not sweet compared to restoring the original to working order if possible.

Thanks.

Do you have a picture of the original? How about some dimensions? I might be able to help.

Picture of the original wax pellet bulb? No, it is inside the snorkel.
I cannot find one online either.

I am going to junkyard to try and pull an identical snorkel for dis-assembly since my neighbor does not want me experimenting with his truck too much.
I will post back when I get more info though.
Thanks!

-
Back