Weakest link theory proven correct... again

-

blufie

Cuda Affecianado
Reaction score
I broke the car... again...

I have been working on getting my new 360/727 dialed in on my 68 cuda and had a driveshaft issue and rear trans leak. Today I recieved my new Spicer 1350 shaft and pinion and got it installed, ran it for a shakedown test and on a very robust "roast the tires through first gear" run :toothy10:... the rear end let go. It's a well worn original 8 3/4 3.23 pumpkin so was on the list to be redone anyway but I was hoping it would give me some more cruzin time before the big boom. Still was a fun pull 8)...

I probably screwed up the pinion preload when I changed the pinion over to 1350 but it could also be just time to replace.

That sucks. I'm getting ready to order the driveshaft for my Scamp with the same motor/tranny combination and that's my worry...Hope I have better luck than you!

.............Dont 4get 2 pull ur tranny as u probably broke the sprag..........kim.......better 2 b safe than sorry.........

Just for those who troll this later...

My issue was I used Yukon Axles that were a bit too short because I had the split-spline style sure-grip and was only engaging 1/4 inch in the spiders. I spun the top 1/4 of teeth off my axle.

Trans was OK but am still beefing it up with new super sprag and billet drums.

Yukon makes an axle that is a bit longer for this issue but I forgot I had switched my sure grip out a while back. The sure grips can be rebuiilt with solid style spline gears and the axles are still useable (Thanks to Dr. Diff aka Cass who is a wealth of info and help!).

-
Back