Weatherstrip install - glue, adhesive?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Is there a specific adhesive or glue I should use to install the trunk weatherstrip as well as the weatherstrip that runs above the door windows?

3M weatherstrip adhesive. The yellow stuff in the red tube. Also used on intake gaskets.

I bought trunk weatherstripping from Metro. They recommend using 3M black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I went to our local NAPA, O'Reilly and AutoZone and could only find Permatex Weatherstrip Adhesive which I'm sure is fine but is orange.

Just for fun I checked WalMart while I was in there and they have the 3M product back in Automotive hanging above their Bondo display.

I installed it a couple weeks ago and the adhesive was great with super adhesion as soon as I put them together even on the tight twisting curves above the bumper. Follow the instructions on the tube. I used 1 1/2 of the small tubes. It's black so any that oozes out the sides is all but invisible against the black weatherstrip.

Got some, thanks.

Did you guys use adhesive when re installing the weatherstrip which goes above the doors? It pops into place and seems to hold itself there without adhesive, but I can't remember if it had adhesive from the factory.

That's my project for next weekend. The new weatherstrips are on order. Mine did have adhesive from the factory. Looks to be the same as was on the trunk. On my 70 Swinger the only places they had adhesive was on the molded end where it attaches to the body up front in the door jam, in the curve where the A pillar meets the roof and in the curve above the quarter glass. I'd have to look but I seem to recall there may have also been a dollop on the very rear end of the weather strip to keep it in place. I'm guessing those areas tended to come loose because of the curve.

There was also a non-hardening seam sealer applied to the two joints of the corner piece at the A pillar and roof. It's under the foam strip that is sandwiched between the stainless molding and the body. It's the basic consistency and look of gray plumbers putty.

If you haven't removed the stainless molding that the rubber seal pops into then you don't have to worry about it.

I used 3M Black on ALL weatherstriping. Stuff dries quick so get it right the first time. Once stuck you will tear the seal if removed.

-
Back