weiand vs eddy t-ram

-

340 8BBL

Reaction score
has anyone here run the weiand tunnel ram on a small block?if so how was drivability?im currently running the edelbrock street ram on my 340 with great results and excellent low end response.i happen to have the weiand on the shelf and have never run it.we may end up using it on a friends project which is more radical than my build.so anyone with ACTUAL experience with this intake im interested to hear how it performs.

I have had both. I had a weiand tunnel ram and two holley 600s on a 289 in a Pinto in the early eighties. I later had an Eddy street tunnel ram and two 3310 750s on a 427 in a chevelle. By FAR the Eddy was the better one.

only tried the edelbrock on my 340,worked very good. theoreticly the weiand should work better on a higher rpm motor with its bigger plenums and shorter runners,this is just by judging by pictures

I have had both. I had a weiand tunnel ram and two holley 600s on a 289 in a Pinto in the early eighties. I later had an Eddy street tunnel ram and two 3310 750s on a 427 in a chevelle. By FAR the Eddy was the better one.

Could you explain a little better as to why? I have a Weiand TR on the shelf right now with two Carters on it that I am thinking of using. I currently am running a Strip Dominator with a Thermoquad on my 340/417 stroker. I read somewhere that they had core shift or casting problems, but I don't see any of that on my intake.

only tried the edelbrock on my 340,worked very good. theoreticly the weiand should work better on a higher rpm motor with its bigger plenums and shorter runners,this is just by judging by pictures
thats what i thought as well.i know for a fact how well the eddy works,im more interested to hear how the weiand works on a small block mopar.someone out there has to have tried it.

Just put a fogger kit on it to clear up any bottom end issues and go. :-D

Crutches? We don't need no stinking crutches...
(sorry, just bumping this to keep it fresh, I wanna know).

Could you explain a little better as to why? I have a Weiand TR on the shelf right now with two Carters on it that I am thinking of using. I currently am running a Strip Dominator with a Thermoquad on my 340/417 stroker. I read somewhere that they had core shift or casting problems, but I don't see any of that on my intake.

That's been about 25 years ago. But I remember the Chevelle having very good street manners even though I ridiculously overcammed it. It did have a 3500 converter and 4.10 gears. The carbs were outta the box new and they did not run the engine overly rich. The Pinto was a different story. I remember tuning the carbs a good bit before it was right, but it did run well after tuning. The Eddy's design is just such that it is way more forgiving to overkill stupidness.

That's been about 25 years ago. But I remember the Chevelle having very good street manners even though I ridiculously overcammed it. It did have a 3500 converter and 4.10 gears. The carbs were outta the box new and they did not run the engine overly rich. The Pinto was a different story. I remember tuning the carbs a good bit before it was right, but it did run well after tuning. The Eddy's design is just such that it is way more forgiving to overkill stupidness.

Do you think the 600's might have been a bit much for the 289?
I've got 500 AFB's for my setup which is only a touch smaller than the 427 you mentioned. I am running a pretty aggresive solid cam. I was thinking of maybe using Holley 600 vac secondary carbs, but I have the Carters right now.

I have an oil pressure problem to address first, otherwise I'ld have hucked that puppy on there and been giving first hand reports right now.

I've got 500 AFB's for my setup which is only a touch smaller than the 427 you mentioned. I am running a pretty aggresive solid cam. I was thinking of maybe using Holley 600 vac secondary carbs, but I have the Carters right now.

I have an oil pressure problem to address first, otherwise I'ld have hucked that puppy on there and been giving first hand reports right now.
by all means do it! lol......it seems that no one else has tried the weiand on a mopar.and thats what im looking for a response from someone that ACTUALLY TRIED THE WEIAND ON A SB MOPAR.

by all means do it! lol......it seems that no one else has tried the weiand on a mopar.and thats what im looking for a response from someone that ACTUALLY TRIED THE WEIAND ON A SB MOPAR.

im pretty sure i have seen pics on this site somewhere of a weiand TR installed just cant remember who or where:(

Out of the box, yes, they were. But they were well within tuning range. With different jets and secondary springs they were great.

I'm sure they'll work. I've just never been a carter...or edelbrock fan except for the Thermoquad.

I have an oil pressure problem to address first, otherwise I'ld have hucked that puppy on there and been giving first hand reports right now.[/QUOTE]

I run a weiand tr w/ 9776 list 450 holley carbs on the street .. runs great .. 4.56 gears 10" converter auto trans .. never tried the eddie , though ... motor is a 416 ( stroked 340 ) w/ aluminum ported heads and a solid crower cam ... idles around 900 rpm and has pretty good street manners as well ..

Dave

Attachments

• P1010017.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 240
I would say the SB weiand TR should work great on the street. I know 1st. hand the weiand BB TR works outstanding on the street & track both in the B & RB engines, so why would the SB version be much different. If you got it, use it!!

I would say the SB weiand TR should work great on the street. I know 1st. hand the weiand BB TR works outstanding on the street & track both in the B & RB engines, so why would the SB version be much different. If you got it, use it!!
if you look at the bb manifold next to the sb they are very different in design.the bb version is much taller with a shallow plenum and long thin runners, much like the eddy street ram.i know someone on the site that runs it on a 383 with great results. .........ds416 what would you say the powerband is on your setup?what are your cam specs and cr?

well bieng that nobody has run both back to back i had to try it.despite the weiand being more of a race manifold it had really good street manners with good low speed operation.it ran very smooth.it does have some downsides.....distributor clearance is very,very limited and it did give up some torque down low.on a more radical set up,or a stroker i would not hesitate to run it.i think i could modify one for street use very easy.being that my 340 is a more "mild" street build i put the eddy back on.

340 with a Tunnel ram.

Attachments

• IMGP4982.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMGP4983.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 187
Tunnel rams sure are neat looking. Running dual 600 cfm carbs on a 289 sounds pretty crazy and makes me feel better about having one big 600 on my slant six.. It does need tuned though.

-
Back