Weight question.

-
Reaction score
In the building of a 10sec all motor car weight is of huge importance. I was always told and always read that my 1972 plymouth scamp weighed around 2900-3050lbs dependent on options.

Well I was reading a Mopar Muscle article and it listed that their 1973 Plymouth Scamp "No replacement for displacement" project car started at 3400lbs and hit 3650 when they were done?

Now am I missing something or are most the people and information on the internet wrong as usual?

I would really love to know, will put an impact on my goal.

Only way to tell is put it on a scale. A total stripper may be #3000, but add ons add up quick. My old car was 3240 with me in it, big block 4spd all steel. But I did alot of creative weight reductions.

Attachments

• 004-1 front.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 003-1 rear.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 137
Jaws,

Good Lookin' car.

Only way to tell is put it on a scale. A total stripper may be #3000, but add ons add up quick. My old car was 3240 with me in it, big block 4spd all steel. But I did alot of creative weight reductions.

It sounds like 72 Scamp is trying to get and keep the weight down on his car, could you give some examples of your creativity?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I am hoping to be below 2850 with me.

Alterkation, Street Lynx, CF driveshaft, Wilwood Drag-lite disc brakes, Lightened Moser 8 3/4, Fiberglass Hood, fuel cell, aluminum 6.1 hemi block w/ aluminum custom intake manifold and TCI 6x trans. With bucket seats and no backseat and sound deadening.

I am hoping that with the fact that I am 150lbs with race suit on and a 50lb weight in my 100lb backpack, I should hit close to my weight quota....hopefully.

72scamp, what are the rules of the class you want to run? Are you going to run aftermarket bucketd or factory?

My 340 4 speed Dart with a 8 3/4 and a bench seat was 3330 lb with a full tank of gas and a full size rally spare tire in the trunk. No A/C or P/B.

Been looking into taking my Duster down to 2800 lb with out driver.

This is what have come up with so far.

BB auto car with a 12 point cage and subframe connectors and a D60 is going to be around 3500 lb.

So I got to knock off 700LB to get there.

Lexan glass all around with gutted doors

Fiberglass bumpers, bumper mounts, valence, Lift off hood, and lift off trunk lid.

Gutted interior, no back seat and just one light weight seat for the driver. no carpet or trim drill holes in every thing drilled door hinges no wipers heater or any of that stuff.

Take stering coulum out and use a shaft with a bearing.

Light weight wheels, aluminum every thing you can on the motor.

light weight master cylinder, starter and alternator or no alt at all with twin batts in the trunk.

Rules to go buy.

If you don't need it lose it. If you cant can you replace it with some thing lighter or lighten it some how?

Not done yet but think all that sould get me around 2800 LB or so. Don't realy know though.

Good luck to you.

72scamp, what are the rules of the class you want to run? Are you going to run aftermarket bucketd or factory?

Sadly, no class, me and a buddy have a bet. He runs 10s on a all motor chevy that he can also cruise to car shows around 100miles away and throw his family in for a fun ride. He said a mopar couldn't do that without spending 100k. So, I am showing him up.

My 340 4 speed Dart with a 8 3/4 and a bench seat was 3330 lb with a full tank of gas and a full size rally spare tire in the trunk. No A/C or P/B.

Been looking into taking my Duster down to 2800 lb with out driver.

This is what have come up with so far.

BB auto car with a 12 point cage and subframe connectors and a D60 is going to be around 3500 lb.

So I got to knock off 700LB to get there.

Lexan glass all around with gutted doors

Fiberglass bumpers, bumper mounts, valence, Lift off hood, and lift off trunk lid.

Gutted interior, no back seat and just one light weight seat for the driver. no carpet or trim drill holes in every thing drilled door hinges no wipers heater or any of that stuff.

Take stering coulum out and use a shaft with a bearing.

Light weight wheels, aluminum every thing you can on the motor.

light weight master cylinder, starter and alternator or no alt at all with twin batts in the trunk.

Rules to go buy.

If you don't need it lose it. If you cant can you replace it with some thing lighter or lighten it some how?

Not done yet but think all that sould get me around 2800 LB or so. Don't realy know though.

Good luck to you.

That is the best way, but unfortunatly, I want to keep most of the stuff I would normally get rid of. But, thankfully since I am doing the 6.1, I will save almost 200lbs or more off your BB with aluminum parts. That mixed with other mixtures, I should be able to hit my mark I think.

-
Back