weird oil leaking rear main seal or oil pan arch - maybe PCV valve

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
Hello Folks, i just trying to solve the following problem.

everytime i rev the engine past 3000 rpm i would notice some oil on the rear arch of the oil pan. under normal driving conditions there will be zero oil.
it only happens when accelerated hard and fast past 3000 or more. (like on the quarter mile)

cld it be a bad PCV valve ?

i also noticed that the oil level is a bit over the full mark, maybe this cld also cause this issue in conjunction with the windage tray ??

guess it will be caused by crankcase pressure which cld not be exhausted fast enough

Check the block oil filter plate gasket. If it leaks a little oil can run back on the pan rail, then down the pan, and looks like rear main leakage. At 3k you have high pressure and flow.

sorry to get off topic, but how in the world is "accelerating hard and fast past 3000 RPM" different from "normal driving conditions"?

:poke:

I would also have a look at the oil pressure sending unit, and the general area near the distributor, as well as the back end of the valve covers
these are all places that, if they leak, the oil will run down and show up by the rear main

sorry to get off topic, but how in the world is "accelerating hard and fast past 3000 RPM" different from "normal driving conditions"?

:poke:

I would also have a look at the oil pressure sending unit, and the general area near the distributor, as well as the back end of the valve covers
these are all places that, if they leak, the oil will run down and show up by the rear main
:lol: okay... busted...

back side of the engine is dry and clean also the valve covers

@medroy340, that a good idea... will have a look at it, especially as i have a adapter plate mounted

if you mean the stock stamped steel plates, those are supposed to be less prone to leak then the 90 degree adapters
if you mean an aftermarket unit, like for a remote oil filter set up...you might be on to something

Crank case pressure, overfilled, not very tight pan seal could all add up to a leak at the rear of the pan.

It could very well could be something else, but it also could be exactly what you think it is.
Try tightening up on the rear most pan bolts just a little if it feels doable, then try to get some block venting even if a temporary test.

short up date on this issue:
i checked all the bolts on the oil pan - all were tight
also checked the oil filter adapter plate - dry

so i checked and corrected the oil level - was nearly 3/4 quart to much oil in it. done that, and it seems like the problem is solved now.

short up date on this issue:
i checked all the bolts on the oil pan - all were tight
also checked the oil filter adapter plate - dry

so i checked and corrected the oil level - was nearly 3/4 quart to much oil in it. done that, and it seems like the problem is solved now.
Nice ,you found it...Is it running,as you hoped?... When the heck,is your summer? (lol..)

Nice ,you found it...Is it running,as you hoped?... When the heck,is your summer? (lol..)

yes it´s running better than expected, maybe the 3,91 rear end is a bit short now (had to play with the kick down adjustment to get it driveable on German streets, as it mostly resulted in uncontrolled wheel spin, when hitting the pedal at the wrong rpm/speed) but it makes a lot of fun compared to the money i´ve spended for the junkyard magnum engine

errr.. summer in Germany good question, indeed *lol had a lot of rainy and cold weather during my holidays, and now as i´m back to work for 2 weeks now... temperature is climbing to 90° F and maybe more on the weekend (which will be fine as there will be our anual CBQ on a camping site with a lot of nuts car guys - mostly mopar freaks)

-
Back