Weird starting problem

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
I have a starting problem with my Dart. If I use it everyday it will start up no problem but if I leave it even for a day it is practically impossible to start without a push. It cranks over fine but makes no attempt to fire.

If it is push started it fires up easily - i can push start it by myself on level ground. The battery has plenty of power and the starter connections are all fine - i can crank the car uphill on the starter to get out of a parking space to push start it but it won't fire when cranking!

The car is a '63 with a basically stock 360 with electronic ignition - it has the 4 pin ignition module which gets power from the 12v side of the ballast resistor. When the car is cranked the voltage here drops because the ignition switch is only supplying power through the ign2 terminal and not the ign1 terminal - is this correct and is there somewhere else i could power the module from that would get 12v whilst cranking?

I have also run a wire direct from the battery to the module and it still wouldn't start whilst cranking?

The ballast resistor and plugs are new, the leads are fresh and i've tried different caps and rotors with no success. Once it's been started it runs fine and will restart without problems.

Any suggestions??

No one seems to want to tackle this one, so I'll give it a shot for you. :) What carb are you running on that motor? My first thought is that the gas is evaporating out of you carb after sitting for a while. Maybe try priming it with a little fuel after it's been sitting for a while and see if that helps. I run an old Carter AFB on my 360 and I know they're bad for gas evaporation with the newer shitty fuel we get now, but I'm stickin' with my AFB! :) I have a switched electric fuel pump back near the tank running through the stock mechanical pump, so I can just hit the switch and let it run for a few seconds before attempting to start the engine, then a few cranks on the starter ususlly does the trick. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply but I'm pretty sure it's electrical. If I pump the accelerator a good stream of gas comes out of the squirter nozzles. (it's a Carter Thermoquad by the way)

Have you checked the voltage at the battery while cranking? Another possibility could be the ign coil voltage while cranking.While push starting, there is very little draw on the battery and it may have a better spark.

When you went to the electronic ignition did you also go to a new voltage regulator. The old regulators would charge the battery to approx. 12.5 volts whereas the new ignition systems need that battery charged to 13.5-14 volts and the new regulators will do that. You may also have a slow draw on the battery and after sitting overnight the voltage has dropped 1 or 2 and ignition won't fire hot enough to start the engine. What I'd suggest is check the voltage of the battery, at the battery, after it's been sitting for 24 hrs then put a charger on it and see if it'll start or better yet boost it with a running engines battery.

Terry

When you went to the electronic ignition did you also go to a new voltage regulator. The old regulators would charge the battery to approx. 12.5 volts whereas the new ignition systems need that battery charged to 13.5-14 volts and the new regulators will do that. You may also have a slow draw on the battery and after sitting overnight the voltage has dropped 1 or 2 and ignition won't fire hot enough to start the engine. What I'd suggest is check the voltage of the battery, at the battery, after it's been sitting for 24 hrs then put a charger on it and see if it'll start or better yet boost it with a running engines battery.

Terry

Terry,

Did you see how old the original post was? lol! I wonder if he ever got it figured out?

Joe

-
Back