Welder for body metal

-
I bought a hobart mig 140 handler a while back it was $500 brand new and well worth the money. I use the .30 solid wire and it welds up sheet metal like a champ. Just something to think about if you want a great welder for the money.
Good luck

Once you get it down, you will be happy with it.

I had a cheap 110 welder w/o gas. It was very difficult to easily weld sheet metal.

Then I got a Lincoln 140 with the gas. With .025 solid wire and gas, you will see a world of difference.

Get some scrap and practice before putting it to the car, especially with the verticle welds.

for thin sheet metal if you use a good wire and 75/25 most machines will produce good welds. But i prefer lincoln

Ive seen the word consumables a few times. Besides wire what else might they be refering to? Do I need different sized tips for each size wire? Also how long can I expect a tip to last?

Tes you need the correct size tip for the wire you are using. The tip itself it what conducts the current to the wire. Con sumables are usually the tips, gas nozzles and gas diffuser (the part the tip screws in to) along with the wire and gas. The liner in the gun if it is a replaceable one is concidered a consumable also but will last a long time as long as you do not wrap the gun too tightly when not in use and kink it or rum rusty wire through it. The one you will go through the most re the tips but the clark you bought should use the standard tweeco/lincoln tip.(should be the same thread as your lincoln welder. Nice thing is now Lowes and Home depot sell 5 packs of the tips so getting them is convenient. Tip life really depends on how you are using it and the heat range you are running it. As long as you do not melt the wire back in to the tip and fuse it there they will hang in for awhile.

Ok few questions. This is related to welding body metal. What size wire to use and what shielding gas? I’ve never used a true mig but feel I can. Any tips or tricks to welding sheet metal? Ill be doing the floors first which aren’t as critical for appearance. Also what brand of wire do yall use?

-
Back