Welder for body work?

-
Evan if you want here is my email [email protected] I have been selling welding equipment for over 30 years and if you every have any questions feel free to Drop me a email or I can also give you my number . You have to be careful buying some cylinders from individuals.

Thank you. I work with alot of active welders. Hopefully one of them have a welder that they aren't using anymore and that they are willing to sell:)

Have to add my two cents worth. Get the best you can afford - Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, ESAB. And get one that will mig and flux core. A gas bottle shouldn't even be a consideration. Most folks go thru less than a bottle a year, and that's the small bottle. As a 20 year welder in shipbuilding I can tell you that if you're new to welding, you'll make out much better with mig on sheet metal. You'll get better penetration at a lower amperage than with flux core. If you can afford it and have the connection, get 220. But 110 works for most light duty jobs.
I'm looking at 110. Don't have a hookup for 220. How large of a bottle should a get for welding. I'd only weld here and there on the weekends.

You will use 15 - 20 cfm per hour normally so if you buy a bottle get one with at least 80 cuft that way you have at least 4 hours of continuous welding but if your outside your going to use more. A 80 cuft bottle is roughly 35" tall

You will use 15 - 20 cfm per hour normally so if you buy a bottle get one with at least 80 cuft that way you have at least 4 hours of continuous welding but if your outside your going to use more. A 80 cuft bottle is roughly 35" tall
Oh, that doesn't sound too expensive.

Found a millermatic 130 on craigslist. are those any good? Ive heard they are alright for sheet metal?
Yes the 130 is a decent little machine and should handle what you want to do with it well. If you plan on running any little 110 mig off of an extension cord be sure to get a 10 gauge one. Voltage drop on a standard cord will only drive you crazy with the machine performing erratically.

Yes the 130 is a decent little machine and should handle what you want to do with it well. If you plan on running any little 110 mig off of an extension cord be sure to get a 10 gauge one. Voltage drop on a standard cord will only drive you crazy with the machine performing erratically.
I thought about that. I would likely have to use an extension cord

-
Back