Welder gave out on me.

-

ssba

Reaction score
As the title suggest my old Airco heliwelder V quit working.
I got this welder used about 20 years ago and it has been a great
machine up till now. It is a solid state unit so I believe it could
be repaired.
I am not skilled in electronic repairs but I am considering
picking up a quality fluke meter and having a go at it.
So I guess I would like to get some opinions on how you would
go about diagnosing and repairing my problem from
some of you guys that speak the electronics language.
I see a lot of post around here about electronic repairs by
some of you and honestly they usually are past my level of
understanding.
I am not ready to toss the machine out without at least a decent attempt
to save it.
So I'm thinking some advise on a capable model fluke would be a good place
to start. Any opinions? I am already feeling a bit lost without this piece of equiptment
working.

Attachments

• IMG_20141107_152348_376.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 314
I have pulled the covers. I didn't find anything obvious like a burnt component or
loose wire. The machine still turns on but I can't get any amps or heat out of it to make
a weld.
There are a lot of diodes, resistors and who knows what all to see with the covers
taken off. I am going to have to learn how to I'd and check these components to determine
which part or parts to replace.
I have been looking at fluke meters and their are many and with different features.
Makes for a tough choice being inexperienced around electronics.

If you aren't already looking for it you may want to see what you can find in way of schematics. Also, it's getting harder and harder to find discrete components. I don't mean to discourage you though, often with electronics it's something simple and a lot of times too it's a single component failure. You might be looking for an open or bad ground since your machine turns on, good luck!

I have spent some time looking for a schematic. No luck yet. Still looking.
I cleaned as many of the contacts as I could also. with no change.

I am good with electronics. If you can take some good pictures and provide the schematic I can help with trouble shooting the basics. Components have changed some for the better, so we can find substitutes and make it work. By turning it on I assume the fan works, but something in the power circuit sounds open.

Yes the machine turns on fan and all. I have been using this power supply as a
designated tig machine the entire time I have owned it. Switching from AC to DCSP
polarity when changing from aluminum to steel welding process.
When the machine failed I removed all the tig leads & cooler to rule out a problem with the set up. I then hooked up a basic stinger and ground with polarity set to DCRP. This has made it easier to test.
I got the same results configured this way. I get a very weak spark rather than a arc
with enough heat to melt a rod.
I don't know enough about what I am looking at with the covers off to name the components
it is using with any accuracy yet. But I am learning. So far my trouble shooting has been no more than cleaning contacts on the switches and wire terminal ends.
I will continue to search for a copy of the schematics.......

Thanks for chimeing in Kit. I think if this machine was where you could get your meter on it you would have found the problem in a shorter time than I have spent cleaning contacts.
I will get some pictures.

Fluke is a very good meter. If you are going to use it often, it is a great investment. Radio shack or the source have less expensive units that would be ample for your needs. Good luck with the repair and a schematic would be an asset.

A friend brought over a multi meter today. It is a harbor freight job.
Needless to say I was not impressed going off my past experience
with other discount tools. He said give it a try its free. Apparently
they give these meters away free with some other purchase he made.
He said he's never tried using it. He is kind of like myself and never
had a real need for one till now.
I am still on the hunt for the schematic. Been doing the Google search
all morning. Well see what turns up.
Doesn't really feel like I'm off to a very good start yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_111539_618-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 160
I`d see if the company is still in business, they would be the ones to hit up for schematics.
If not, maybe one of the bigger outfits bought them out and still have records on that machine.
Most larger welding supplies, may have inhouse repair techs, may run you a couple hundred, verses quite a few thousand for a new machine.
They would let you know where you stand, and decide if it`s worth to fix it.
good luck.

you can try calling these guys on monday

http://billswelderrepair.com/parts-page.html

there are some welder schematics on that page, not your brand that i can find but it is interesting to look at

they might be able to point you in the right direction, as to what commonly fails, what matches your symptoms, what parts you might need, where to get parts etc.

good luck bro

Most of the controls are likely on the primary side of transformer. There is a high frequency that rides on top. But even without that it should burn rod. There may be a bad connection, likely on the output, since it is weak on all settings. There might be an inductor on the output.

I can do without schematic, pictures will help.

I did some welding on my bush hog deck. I had problems starting arcs. I finished, putting the cables away, the striker clamp fell off the cable. The Allen set screw was jammed, so it felt tight, but was not.

Kit I did take apart and clean all the leads. I have been reading about some problems
others have had that involves adjusting the spark length. Others with capacitor problems.
From me digging around for info I know that the Airco welders are no longer
being made. The best I could come up with is the welder was made by ESAB.
Some Airco's were built by miller but I don't think I am that lucky here.
Miller has very good records and schematics available if you can cross your welder
over to a Miller #. Still digging on the Esab lead.

Just an idea here....perhaps you should join a welding forum.....

http://weldingweb.com/

and ask there as well, there very well may be someone there familiar with the machine...or at the very least be able to provide a schematic....Good Luck

Just an idea here....perhaps you should join a welding forum.....

http://weldingweb.com/

and ask there as well, there very well may be someone there familiar with the machine...or at the very least be able to provide a schematic....Good Luck

I have been looking around a better part of the day ink. I do think I will need some good luck. From what I've gathered I've got myself a not so popular machine here from a manufacture that went out long ago. (80s?) The company that took them over (miller) didn't care to cater to the line. They must have bought them out to kill the brand and the competition.
I am still looking for a owners manual or at the very least a schematic. It seems I will have to find someone who has one that came with the machine when it was purchased new.
I believe I will eventually land a copy but I have not got any promising replys yet.
The numbers on the machine have turned up less information than the name of the welder.
I have been finding post with guys just like myself trying to find the schematics or
praising the machine for how well it preforms.
If it didn't weld so nice when it was working I would likely find a different machine that wasn't
so obsolete to replace it.
It would take a few thousand to buy a modern machine that can weld what this one did.
I also like the fact that it isn't digital like most of the modern machines. I am hoping
the fact that it has toggles and rheostats for controls it will be a cheaper and longer lasting
fix. Would like to get another 20 years out of it if I can.

ssba, have you checked both legs of the outlet or at the breaker box?

Yes got it plugged into a receptical that is normally operating my compressor without
problems. 50 amp breaker. Machine powers up when power switch is turned on. Fan
sounds like its gonna leave the ground having the covers off.
Tested voltage at transformer after power switch and have 119.5V to 120.3V on all
4 terminals. So voltage is getting to the transformer. Also the 115V receptical on the back
panel to plug in the cooler is live when machine is turned on.
The machine was built in the 70s or 80s and doesn't look to have any signs of repairs.

-
Back