Welders

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
When yall weld do you move the torch in a circular motion? Like this? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4RrDeUKcH4&feature=player_embedded"]‪Mig Welding Technique Taught by Old Timer‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Also is there a general rule of thumb when setting up a welder for different materials? When welding 2 sizes together I assume you set the welder to the thickest material? What angle to hold the guy? Ive gotten good at tacking but not so much bead running?

Anyone with good sights or videos?

Well, as you can see it leaves a nice bead.
I use a cresant moon type weave myself, with the same results/apearence. CCCCCCCCCCC just think of flattening the Cs out a little.

Now see I was doing it all wrong. I was just trying to drag it along with only side to side movement <---> . How do you determin how fast you move the torch?

Now see I was doing it all wrong. I was just trying to drag it along with only side to side movement <---> . How do you determin how fast you move the torch?

You just kinda do it until it looks right. It all depends on the thickness of the work. If it's pretty thick, you want to move more slowly putting down a lot of wireand getting good penetration. I said penetration. heh heh heh huh huh huh.

So when welding a lap joint do I focus the heat on the center where the 2 peices come together or on the larger peice? Also when welding vertical does it matter if you start from the top or bottom?

So when welding a lap joint do I focus the heat on the center where the 2 peices come together or on the larger peice? Also when welding vertical does it matter if you start from the top or bottom?

'Tramp,
First, the disclaimer....I'm no expert! But from what I have been able to research and apply, you will want to favor the arc toward the overlapping piece. The total thickness of the joint is under the overlap and will be able to sink the heat away better than the single layer of material. This is true even if the pieces are the same thickness. It will be even more important if the thicker material is "on top" because you will likely be using a higher voltage setting.

Lincoln and Miller both have pretty good tutorial information available on their web sites, including pictures to help you "read" your welds for proper settings.

Vertical welding can be done in either direction, but the experts will have to weigh in here with the pros/cons. I have only done uphill, seemed easier to me. L8r

Jim

I do the crescent unless it is thick metal then I use a circle pausing at the low spot for a half second
Well, as you can see it leaves a nice bead.
I use a cresant moon type weave myself, with the same results/apearence. CCCCCCCCCCC just think of flattening the Cs out a little.

Sounds good fella need to practice that. Having trouble finding me someone that can help button up my spring relocation. I may have to learn to do it myself.

I have a 140 amp Mig welder.. Im using .030 wire welding the 1/8th boxes to about 1/16th frame rail thickness... Can it be done single pass?

I was a certified welder for 24 years....mig(all position-all thickness), sub-arc, and stick(mostly low-hydrogen 7018 with 5P roots, 1/2" dia. to un-limited dia. on pipe, all position-all thickness on structural, tested in 6-G fixed position).

As for mig welding sheet metal on a car in the vertical postion, this might be best to start from the top and go down, you'll not be as likely to "blow-thru". Anything heavier than sheet metal would be from the bottom up to get better penetration.

Here's the best tip I can give you....learn to tell when the edges of the puddle are melting into the base metal...when the edges tie in, it's time to move before it blows thru. If the edges don't get tied in, you end up with a "cold-lap" and the weld will not hold....it'd be more or less like just putting glue there. Using a mig, telling when the edges tie should be pretty easy as there's no flux in the way to block your view.

Hope this helps.

If you are going to weld on the car, get some scrap and practice, practice practice.... Especially vertical and overhead.

Vertical position usually requires less wire and voltage.

The boxes I got from MP were about .105 and the frame should be about .083, IIRC.

Look on you-tube for videos of vertical position welding.

When welding flat, crescents, circles whatever usually works OK. In vertical you'll likely use a V or tree/triangle to move the puddle.

im not going to get all MR. safety on you about all the precautions you should take (common sense is your friend) but a couple that I have overlooked in the past would be earplugs and welder cap for over head welding ( those little embers are not fun burning in your ear or hair! )
if you lay down weld I.E. overhead welding under car with no lift use a welding blanket, well kinda like a blanket draped from torso to toe ! (don't ask, I think I created a new dance move that day)
best simple advice I ever had : get comfortable to weld- sounds stupid but I have spent the extra time to adjust a set up if at all possible so I could be in the most relaxed state when welding. Your welds will be better and you will be way less fatigued when the job is done.
Happy Welding !

-
Back