Welding Helmets

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Could someone please give me a quick primer on what to look for when buying a welding helmet. i will be using an SP170T Lincoln Mig if that matters. I'm just not sure what darkening time and shade I should look for. THanks for any help! I found this one a little while ago, dont know if it would work all right or not.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hobhoodblac.html

Mine's not a Cyber, but it's pretty good..............

It charges with solar cells built in on the top of the shade......adjustable speed and darkening controls, and it has an American Eagle theme painted on it...........I got the name of it on the tip of my tongue, but can't spit it out....

You need to make sure it's charged though........in my opinion, they can all be a pain sometimes.......For spot welds, I just shut my eyes.......when you're moving along quickly, you gotta be quick with the lids too.......Don't try this at home. :glasses7:

The ones I've had were adjustable, you have to play with it a bit, if you're outside it won't go back to normal vision if it's too bright out.

The main thing I can say is make sure it's working before you start your weld, look at a light bulb or the sun and make sure it dims. The last one I got has a reset button that you have to push each time or nothing happens :munky2:

As Far As Auto Darkening Goes . The Most Common Used By People In The Trade Are Speedglass, And Lincoln . I Personally Do Not Use A Auto Darkening Lens. I Perfer The Cheap Huntsman Helmet, They Are Lightweight, And Have A Very Good Duable, Head Gear. But I Also Weld For A Living. For At Home I Would Say That Would Be Fine. Just My Opinion

the main thing you want is one that reacts the quickest to the arc when it strikes or you may get flash burn to your eyes, the faster it reacts the more money you will pay though. if you have light colored eyes the more sensitive they will be to the weld arc so the darker the lens shade you will want.

-
Back