Welding new spring perches onto a Ford 8.8

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Hey how's it goin, I'm putting a Ford 8.8 into my 64 barracuda.

Why? Because I've read a ton about it on here, and it only cost me $150! Complete in great condition!

31 splines 3:73 gear ratio Limited slip disc brakes!

If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to weld on the new spring perches that would be great! Not sure if there is some sort of pinion degree that it needs to be at.

-I have already had the longer side narrowed to the size of the shorter side.

Thanks!

Do I simply just move them the distance I need them? Keep the 8.8 pinion angle the same?

I don't know if the pinion is a certain degree on a mopar.

Picture' s, photos, and your welding ability,please. I want to help you, we need more info on this situation..

Yes I did see that sticky, I just gave it another skin through and I didn't see any pictures of welding on the new leaf spring plates to the rear.

Here's a picture of the ending tacked. After measuring a million times and marking we finally found agreed on where to cut.

We cut it and then used 4 pieces of 1/4 steel to line up the cut tube. Tacked it in.

I have a Eastwood mig 135 so, we tacked it in and took it to local and very reputable motorcycle frame builder. Rob North, - he's kinda a big deal lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 277
Painted 8.8, just because I wanted to see it lol and to prevent flash rust.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 256
Mock it up. leave pads loose/snug u bolts enough to tap adjust pinion angle. center on frame.
Must be loaded, weight on axle. Tack in position, remove, No oil, vent well, remove seals, weld up. install, have fun.

So I bought mopar 8 3/4 leaf spring perches from summit, I've gotten everything to rebuild the internals, but I would like to weld in the perches with an empty diff vs assembled.

Okay thanks! I will have the pinion yoke in.

What degree is it suppose to be it?

This IS NOT the right way to do this.

Those ends aren't square to the center and welding them without it being fixed they aren't in line.
The perches should have been done before the ends were put on.

-
Back