Welding on a Dana 60 diff.

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
Has anybody welded on the actual differential section (center section, cast iron area) of a Dana 60. There is a small crack in one I have in the pinion area and was wondering if anyone would weld it.

Thank You for the input!

You can arc weld it with nickel rod but you must v groove the crack and I'd recommend drilling an 1/8" hole at the end of the crack. Must be super clean then preheat with a torch to at least 500 degrees weld it from the end of the crack to the 1/8" hole. If the crack goes all the way through the case you'll have to disassemble everything because the heat will draw the lube out through the crack and ruin the weld. After welding wrap the case with fiberglass insulation to trap in the heat and allow it to cool very slowly. Done this many times engine blocks also the same way.

Sport

You can arc weld it with nickel rod but you must v groove the crack and I'd recommend drilling an 1/8" hole at the end of the crack. Must be super clean then preheat with a torch to at least 500 degrees weld it from the end of the crack to the 1/8" hole. If the crack goes all the way through the case you'll have to disassemble everything because the heat will draw the lube out through the crack and ruin the weld. After welding wrap the case with fiberglass insulation to trap in the heat and allow it to cool very slowly. Done this many times engine blocks also the same way.

Sport

Xlnt advise! Been there done that. Like he is saying it better be super clean or you will draw the oil/grease into the crack and it will be no good!

Sport
X2 to achieve the 500deg.if you heat it to the color blue is 600deg.then weld.and fallow the steps above...........Artie

-
Back