Welding projects

-
Here is a project I completed recently. The lantern on top is custom made from 3"X3" angle, some box tubing, and flat stock. The decorations on the post behind and below the sign are plasma cut out of 1/4" flat stock. It's all on an 18' 10" x 10" x 1/2" post.

chappy 016.jpg

I like this topic as I also am taking a welding class this semester. Thats pretty cool that they will let you bring in your own projects. All they will let us do is what the Hobart manual gives us to do. It's alot harder than I had thought it was going to be. They are teaching SMAW and GMAW. Stick is harder than one would think; but after using it; you gain quite an appreciation for wire feed.

welding project.jpg

Just wait until you get your first case of flashburn, that sucks and it will teach you to use your helmet everytime...

Been there done that. Feels like some poured ground glass in your eyes. Always wear your helmet and the auto-darkening ones are kick ***. I've got a Harbor Freight one but really want/need a Miller. I just don't trust that HF one..... It's hasn't failed me yet, but "yet" is scary word.

If your`re just learning to complement restoration, or fabrication skills I suggest concentrating on MIG. and SMAW. then TIG. Then if enough time learn to cut with a torch then weld. Fabbing`s kind of a hobby for me, also proffesional. Just a couple of many projects I`ve done. Welding cart setup. "The ultimate Rig", Press, And foot assist sheetmetal brake8)

Do you have plans for any of that? I've been looking for a hydraulic press and would just as happily make one. :read2:

Do you have plans for any of that? I've been looking for a hydraulic press and would just as happily make one. :read2:
No, all out of the blue, wonder? if I have the material projects. Word of caution, if you are a beginner, and are not sure of your welds, have it inspected by a pro. heck anymore, China`s building presses, probably cheaper than you can buy all materal these days. Unless you get all materal free. So far the only time the press came in handy is when I pressed on axle bearings. Wheel bearings I find just as easy to use a hammer and big brass drift8). If your determined, go to a tractor supply, or place that sells these things, with a notepad and a tape, and if have a dig. camera, measure componets, and have at it. I found return springs here. Do not skimp on thicknesses of materal. China engineers their products as cheap as possible, compared to American.:-D Also you better have a bmf drill press to make good holes and accurate layout skills. :-D Remember Homer Simpsons Spice Rack? LOL

Nope, not a beginner so welding isn't the problem, just having a plan handy would save measuring one where they sell them, feel like a bit of a turd ding that :-D You're probably right though, cheaper to buy than build, I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one. Just want to play around with straightening some bumpers

Forgot to add, I'm impressed with your work and ability to just make one of these out of the blue.

Well I think I'm finally getting a feel for this welding business. I made this 'abstract art' (don't laugh!) out of scrap that was laying around in the shop. I also managed to incorporate some fabrication stuff into this thingy. I used a square and tried to make as perfect a 90º angle as I could. I used a radial chop saw to cut the tubing, I used clamps to keep it in place and MIG welded the thing together then finished it up with a couple different wheels on the grinder. I just sort of did it for practice, it's basically just abstract form. The welds aren't perfect but I had fun doing it and it's solid. My instructor dug it. Progress!

IMG_2476.JPG

Good job! Looks like a dinner triangle. Does it have a nice ring if you hang it by a string and give it a smack? :)

Welding is all about "flow". It just takes some feel for how metal flows when melted and how to push it around. I hope that makes sense, lol.

Good job! Looks like a dinner triangle. Does it have a nice ring if you hang it by a string and give it a smack? :)

Welding is all about "flow". It just takes some feel for how metal flows when melted and how to push it around. I hope that makes sense, lol.

No ring, just 'klang'.

I think I understand what you mean about flow. I was chasing that around the first few times, seems to come a little easier now. Still getting used to doing things in the dark but I'm starting to 'see the light'. :toothy10:

Looks like you're getting the hang of it. It's certainly not as easy as it looks. I'm a pipefitter, been working with welders for years, it's amazing what a good welder can accomplish.

But, as nice as your abstract piece is, couldn't you have made it a Pentastar? =P~

Good start, rmchrgr, pretty soon you could be making some abstract-looking table or ceiling lamps, not to mention welding on your car.

Rookie question - what kind of place do I go to to get materials? I tried searching in my area for sheet metal suppliers but I wasn't finding anything specific. Like, I need a place where a guy can just walk in and buy a sheet of 14 gauge. What kind of places keep stock that you can buy in small quantities? I looked up Mcmaster Carr but a 6' sheet of steel was over $100. and a 6' length of tubing is like $25.

Anyone give me any pointers?

Also, I got some time on the TIG machine. man, completely different than MIG welding. I spent an hour or two doing it and I think I was starting to get the right rhythm with the puddling and adding the filler rod. Not an easy skill to master. Plus the heat that process generates is amazing.

Thanks for any ideas on where to get matrerials.

- Greg

I went to welding school about 16 years ago and I didn't know how to do a damn thing when I walked in there. I didn;t even finish the course. But I learned a lot of technique and was able to do a lot of fairly difficult welding recently to my car. And thats this many years later. It's worth it to learn it. Cut yourself some slack. Your not going to be able to do alot of complicated stuff right off the bat. If you stick with it you will learn a lot of really cool stuff though. And save yourself a lot of headache and money as the years roll by.

Or you can ask your local welding shop. Some of those kind of guy's are on the level. Drive one of your cool mopars in there and do some talking. You would be amazed what a cool mopar can do for you.

Check your local Yellow Pages under Steel Distributors & Warehouses or Steel Fabricators. The fabrication shops could sell you scraps for salvage cost or even order some new steel for you under their POs. Don't forget HVAC companies for a steel source. They often have to use sheet steel to fabricate high temperature commercial ducts.

Did some more TIG welding today. I think I'm getting a feel for it. I kind of like it better than MIG because TIG seems like it's more controllable. The only problem for me seems to be the initial flash - I kind of get a little wigged out when the initial arc happens. Not outwardly, but I seem to momentarily lose focus and end up burning through. When I'm able to focus, it's actually easy. You have to just get through the initial heat where you can see anything then you see the puddle and it becomes easy, almost zen-like. It's a much slower process than MIG. Had to grind down the Tungsten a few times because I stuck it to the work, but hey, it's all part of the process. Getting OK at grinding down the tips too. I can't stress the importance of a good, sharp Tungsten tip.

Haven't tried aluminum yet, just joined two pieces of steel tubing today. I also got to use the horizontal bandsaw today. Cool!

Also have a line on a distributor that's way down in the industrial section of Brooklyn where the shop is. Apparently you need to buy whole sheets/tubes, but they cut it for you.

Check it out.

IMG_2627.JPG

-
Back