welding question

-
Aircraft epoxy, Its how most planes are constructed aluminum to aluminum, Steel to aluminum, Composite to steel etc. I thought rivets were what held planes together but in therory once everything was bonded and cured they wouldnt need to be there kind of a redundcy, This stuff is crazy strong even in a crash most of it stays together.
I have welded/built aircraft in the past thats how I found this out myself.

Joe

They are bonding body panels on new cars now check out body supply stores for what the adhesive is they use.

Uhhh... guys.... Cragar SS wheels have aluminum centers welded to steel wheel hoops.

When steel comes in contact with alu it causes a reaction called galvanic corrosion. Its something that needs to be taken seriously in the collision refinishing industry. Dont mix tools used on steel on alu. If you sand a alu hood with a sander used on steel it will corrode under your paint making it bubble.

When steel comes in contact with alu it causes a reaction called galvanic corrosion. Its something that needs to be taken seriously in the collision refinishing industry. Dont mix tools used on steel on alu. If you sand a alu hood with a sander used on steel it will corrode under your paint making it bubble.

lol, Im a collision repair and refinishing student. Our instructors beat the Galvanic Corrosion thing into our brain all the time.

This can be done by means of a data couple, it is a strip of steel on one side and aluminum on the other which is explosion bonded real expensive stuff. It's used in ships to join steel hulls to aluminum pilot house.

lol, Im a collision repair and refinishing student. Our instructors beat the Galvanic Corrosion thing into our brain all the time.

LoL! Tell me your not going to U.T.I. (Un Trained Idiots)????
I wasted $16,000 for a joke of a technical school! Bad when the student taught the instructors...HAHAHAHA...... Houston location..

Seriously, I had so much fun jamming those instructors. I remember Mechanical 3, Pull drivetrain. They gave my group a 97 Taurus(I owned 2 98's). "I"(we kinda) dropped the entire drivetrain out the bottom within 30 minutes. Priceless look on the EM's face!! Then had to help all the other groups for a week:banghead:..... If I didn't have a family I would have went to Wyotech, much better program....

All the above is my personal opinion! Some may differ!

i want to go to the hot rod institute, but if i cant make it to there for whatever reason ill probably end up at wyotech at the blaisville campus doing their street rod fabrication program. this is all after i finish up at the college im in now

LoL! Tell me your not going to U.T.I. (Un Trained Idiots)????
I wasted $16,000 for a joke of a technical school! Bad when the student taught the instructors...HAHAHAHA...... Houston location..

Seriously, I had so much fun jamming those instructors. I remember Mechanical 3, Pull drivetrain. They gave my group a 97 Taurus(I owned 2 98's). "I"(we kinda) dropped the entire drivetrain out the bottom within 30 minutes. Priceless look on the EM's face!! Then had to help all the other groups for a week:banghead:..... If I didn't have a family I would have went to Wyotech, much better program....

All the above is my personal opinion! Some may differ!

No, Im not going to UTI. My instructors use the phrase "Un Trained Idiots" too.

Im going to a regular Community College and getting an Associates Degree. I will have about 40, I-Car certifications including collision repair and structural welding.

We work just like a production body shop repairing real customer cars to industry standards and getting them back out on the road in pre-loss condition.

Im starting my second year in a few weeks. By this time next year I should be qualified to wash cars at a body shop for $10 an hour. lol

This can be done by means of a data couple, it is a strip of steel on one side and aluminum on the other which is explosion bonded real expensive stuff. It's used in ships to join steel hulls to aluminum pilot house.

Explosion welding is really a cool process. But for the sake of argument in a shop setting it's not possible. A cool vid for you though........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldl6fIDGQ5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Explosion Welding - YouTube[/ame]

Im going to a regular Community College and getting an Associates Degree. I will have about 40, I-Car certifications including collision repair and structural welding.

We work just like a production body shop repairing real customer cars to industry standards and getting them back out on the road in pre-loss condition.

Im starting my second year in a few weeks. By this time next year I should be qualified to wash cars at a body shop for $10 an hour. lol

Yeah, I had all the experience I needed just no proof. My Pops owned his own Custom paint and body shop. I have all the CR&R credits as well as structural repair and welding and I have only 24 Gold I-car points not including all the "Ford" certs. and Recertified ASE Master.. I was the OLDEST student at 32. Most of the kids(18 up) didn't get a job after graduation. Ones that did started at $8 hr as a helper. I went in at $14.50 and retired 8 years later at $18.79 per flag hr.. I went to the "Dark" side as a Physical Damage Appraiser after more time & money at Kaplan professional school and gained my Property & Casualty license. 2.5 years doing that then got laid off and unemployed for over a year now... Can't go back to body work due to all of the local shops are dead. The BIGGEST dealer here(Lawrence-Marshall) shut the doors and killed the little town I live in. Economy is soooooo bad that no one is fixing their cars unless they are hammered. WTF!!! Hell, Autozone and O'rielly told me at the interviews that I was "Overqualified".. I think it was the fact that I have forgotten more than the Manager has ever known!! I guess I will end up a Prison Guard at the local Pack Unit for a lousy $2300 a month:banghead:. At least its more than the $8 an hr at those sorry a$$ parts houses..

I hope you have a good place lined up to obtain employment!! Good luck on your endeavor. I made damn good money($80,000 yearly) in the body business until those rag heads flew those planes into the twin towers... Business fell considerably after that ($38-$42,000). Mind you, I live in one of the Top 5 worst cities to drive in and still no business. Those informercials blow some serious smoke up the keester to stick you for that kind of money. I will not hesitate to say my piece about that.

I guess thats "Capitalism" at its finest but that is a whole other story...
Sorry to jack this thread!!! I tend to Rant at times....:violent1:

Good luck in the business.... Making that kind of cash is rare in an average body shop. You will learn 10x's more working in a shop for a year than you will going to a tech school for two years.... you basically get the basics in school. ICar and ASE stuff looks good on paper, but in the end any monkey can pass the tests.

Good luck in the business.... Making that kind of cash is rare in an average body shop. You will learn 10x's more working in a shop for a year than you will going to a tech school for two years.... you basically get the basics in school. ICar and ASE stuff looks good on paper, but in the end any monkey can pass the tests.

I-car is actual training, ASE is just a common sense test.

-
Back