Welding Questions and Tips

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So I bought a flux wire welder. Ive never wire welded but I hear its easy to learn. Ive dont Tig, Arc and gas welding. But how long does a 2lbs spool last you? Is there a brand of wire that I need to stay away from? Im going to be doing mostly welding on the floor pans of the hot rod. What wire size is good for general purpose? Any help would be great. Any tips would be great.

I would suggest to return it and invest a little more $$$ and purchess one that uses shielding gas. .024 is what I use, especally if it`s a 110 unit. Get a Hobart-Miller or Lincoln. You`ll thank yourself in the long run8)

For the money I couldnt pass up. Its a 2 month old Lincoln 100 amp. I gave 100 bucks for it. Ill get a gas one someday but for now its this one. But I have heard that the flux leaves slag which I figured its just like ARC welding.

If you have one that can be converted to gas like mine its about 140 or something like that for the kit. for sure do it. they use a .030 or .035 wire and flux core burns really hot and is a pain in the butt to weld thin metal with, often blowing a hole right through. the flux core is great when you have a low powered machine to weld thicker than usual metal plus it works good in outdoor situations. not a clean looking weld but good and strong.

Yes it will leave a very thin layer of slag, and this will help to cause confusion to a new weldor. It will work, but once you try one with solid wire and gas you`ll never go back to fluxcore. good luck. also the little spools won`t last that long, and you`ll save in the long run with the 30lb.

I know it wont be as clean of a weld. I figured it would burn hot ARC welding burns hot which is basically what this is. Ive only seen 10 and 2 lb spools. Where do you guys buy spools?

Yeah. I think Im going to try the 2lb spools till I find one that I like. I hate to buy a crappy spool and still have 10lbs of it.

What they said. Gas is the thing that makes the system.
And you wll use more wire with flux since the flux makes the wire hollow.

2 lbs won't last very long.

I haven't been able to successfully weld sheet metal thickness with the flux core wire. I do better with a small rod and my arc welder.

I've had the best luck with Lincoln wire and rods.

I went from flux to gas; like it better. a buddy hates the gas, as he hasn't got used to it.
A 12 point roll cage, 2 floor pans, 4 link, coil overs, crossmembers, rear quarter, body fill, misc. A bought 30 2lb spools, and 10 tanks (#2 tractor supply).

One "trick" in welding sheet metal is to back the welding seam with a piece of brass or copper metal. This cuts down on the blow thru and the weld will not stick to the brass or copper backing plate.

Whip

Cover every piece of glass in the car and make sure you get a full mask,don't be mr, Badda$$ and not use the shield

I use the lincoln innershield when I weld flux core, seems to work pretty well. not that much money and its readily available.

I would suggest to return it and invest a little more $$$ and purchess one that uses shielding gas. .024 is what I use, especally if it`s a 110 unit. Get a Hobart-Miller or Lincoln. You`ll thank yourself in the long run8)

X2, it is also really hard to learn on a flux core...

as with any mig welder if it sounds like pop corn cooking ...either the heat is too low or the wire speed need's to be slowed down

i bought the lincoln weld pack hd for my birthday. well i then found out how much i hate flux core. when i used the actual mig i welded as much as i can. now i just do when i have to and then i try to take it to someone with a mig. i emailed lincoln to see if it could be converted. they said no but i looked at the link posted earlier and it can be. i will for sure do that. i bet you will do the same when you start doing the flux. it is way to hot and sticks and is messy. for a small welder it cant do much small. i tried to fix a crack in my friends scooter frame and just blew holes in it with it as low as it could go.

From what Ive read. It looks like flux welding is alot like ARC welding which Ive done. Im well aware of whats involved there. I do know that these things arnt designed to be used on metal less that 20g. Not saying with careful use it cant be used on 20g or less. Im confident this will serve the purpose for what I need it. Once more money comes around Ill upgrade someday.

-
Back