Welding

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
have to do some repairs on the underside of my car, whats the best way to repair a gap 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide.

I have a mig and ark welder.

TY guys and gals

when you say gap do you mean like a hole or like a long strip?? If it's just a small hole then i'd go with godfather and use the mig. If it's a long strip then that's kinda different.

Its a long strip. I install a panel and it was off so I made a cut on 2 sides and made the adjustment.

14 inchs long

Its a long strip. I install a panel and it was off so I made a cut on 2 sides and made the adjustment.

14 inchs long

I would mig it. If it's a sheet metal panel, just slowly build out from each tack weld. If you can get behind the panel, hold a piece of copper across the gap and you will be able to easily fill it.

How big? If more than a 1/4"; strip. Harbor Freight has a cheap butt weld clamp system, that works good. It was great on my quarter panel fiasco.

the best way ive found is MIG..just run a very small strip (like 1/8 to 1/4) then stop, until the metal cools. then repeat until youre done.

Thanks guys, I cant get behide it so i will try my best.

I would mig it. If it's a sheet metal panel, just slowly build out from each tack weld. If you can get behind the panel, hold a piece of copper across the gap and you will be able to easily fill it.
Hi,did you ever get the electric duster going. It looks great. I've been wanting to convert a duster for sometime.

Hi,did you ever get the electric duster going. It looks great. I've been wanting to convert a duster for sometime.

Thanks. Yes, it's running and drivable. I still have lots of little things to finish on it but I spent the whole Summer working on other A-Body projects.

I manage a welding shop . And what i would do is.....The best way is the mig turn the heat down cause the edge of the metal is gonna burn. If you can cut a small strip ti fit in between the gap hold it there with a magnet. Or if you have too Try to dot each side of the metal to get a soild base then walkit down slowly or it will warp the metal.. Good luck hope it helps

question for ABodySickness Did you go with a kit or just put together misc. parts

There is really no kit for it so I put together misc parts. I had to do quite a bit of custom stuff. PM me (or start a new thread) with any questions you have on it. I'd be glad to share my experience and gained knowledge with anyone wanting to try it :)

Seems to work, cut a piece to fit weld grind weld grind weld lol. Got about 1/4 of the repair done yesterday.

Thanks everyone

-
Back