well...got it on the ground and drove it the "first 15-

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
It is a WAAAY noticeable difference over the 2.94 open....I didn't get on it too hard, being new gears and all, but I can definitely tell it's going to be great....

my speedo does say I'm going 65 when i'm really going 45, so i'll have to get that straightened out....i think i need an orange gear for 26" tires and 3.91s

i did have a little noise....it is quiet (as compared to the exhaust) and the sound is like ignition interfewrence into the stereo, except I have no radio, so I know it's the rear, but maybe it's just new gears???????

it's out in the garage cooling now, so tomorrow or this weekend i'll get it out and drive it a lot.....hopefully...need to rive it a lot to get that first 500 miles on it, then let 'er rip (after the gear oil change)

speaking of which...i used Coastal 80W90.....and GM LS additive.....everyone said to use the gm stuff, but what about the gear oil???

after the 500 mile break in i change over to a synthetic gear lube. just dont do it till the gears break in, because the synthetic will not alow it to break in properly...also drive the car only 20 minutes at a time (about 20 miles) for the first 2 or 3 times, if you got under your car and felt youre rear (no pun intended) after the first drive it would be very warm, after the second time, feel it again., if it feels cooler, then they are breaking in properly. as with anything else, everyone has there own oppinion about proper break in, but this has worked for me for years..

Hmn..That might explain the broken teeth on my last 3:91 gear set. #-o Thanks good thing to know.

I have 4:30's being installed in my Dart. I plan to go racing shortly after. Are you saying I need to put 500 miles on the car before I race it ?
:scratch:

No 60 miles. 20 at a time. Drive anout 20 Miles and let it Cool down. The repeat 2 more times. Then change the fluid.

What about a used set of gears set up in a new carrier/housing? I would assume the wear pattern could be slightly different if the pinion depth, ring gear backlash and bearing preload is not set up exactly the same. Maybe just a shorter break-in time since the gears are already work hardened?

USED GEARS should not be reused after being ran for any length of time, and reseting them in another chuck (or housing) they develope a wear pattern at break in and not any third member or housing is exactly alike, doing this will almost always cause excessive gear noise and possibly excelerated wear. also if you reusethe same old gears in the same housing, it could make noise after installing due to slight differences in clearances......some times using used gears you will not even get a good compound pattern on the gears when setting them up....

USED GEARS should not be reused after being ran for any length of time

Well maybe, but people do it all the time. I have a set of used gears I am going to set up in a 489 housing. My thought was to get as close to the original wear pattern as I can, but I realize it will never be exactly the same. If it works, I'll save a couple hundred bucks. If not... #-o

Drive a race car 20 miles at a time??? Is that why I see them jacked up off the ground running the rear wheels, kinda like driving them in place?[/b]

a guy at our local mopar show left doing a big burnout, 383 67 cuda, it went about 500 feet and clunk, it broke a couple teeth! it was just installed, and next thing you know he's yellin at the guy who sold/ installed it... he simplty said he needed to break it in, and tht didnt include that big friggin burnout!?

i believe it!

-
Back