Well, here we go with the rear end swap.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Taking the 8.25 A body rear end out and adding a Limited Slip carrier section to go in my Dart.
The car in the pic is getting an 8.75 Sure Grip
My right arm is jacked up from doing all new flooring in the house, so I am using mostly my left arm for all this. (impact damage to my elbow from taking up carpet tack strips)
The rusty U bolts & interference nuts were fun left handed.:D
Of course doing it by myself in gravel sucks.

Anyway, I have a choice between 3.21 and 3.55 gears, and I think I'll go with the 3.21 since I won't have to mess with the pinion for those because that is what is in the 8.25 currently.
Just need to swap over the Sure Grip carrier and from a mid 90's truck 70's A body housing that has the 3.21 gears .

I have 2.73's in my car right now and with the 42RH it's a high geared SOB.
The 3.55's will still be available if I change my mind later, but I don't want to go too far right off the bat because I do a lot of hiway driving.

I ran into one issue I didn't expect.
The carrier bearings out of the 70's housing have a larger OD, so I had to order the smaller bearings for the later housing (up to the mid 90's from a dodge truck)
The ID of the bearings is the same, as are the axles spline count from the older housing and axles to the newer carrier.
It is what it is, and I'm just happy that my car isn't down while this is being swapped around.

Got this one out and apart last night.
What should have been a 2 hour ordeal took me more like 4 because of the screwed up arm.:rolleyes:

Got the new Timken bearings on order from Denny's Driveshaft, because everything I could seem to get locally was some (probably China brand) or a generic like most of the parts stores sell.
I'll wait for the good ones.

out.JPG

Taking the 8.25 A body rear end out and adding a Limited Slip carrier section to go in my Dart.
My right arm is jacked up from doing all new flooring in the house, so I am using mostly my left arm for all this. (impact damage to my elbow from taking up carpet tack strips)

Anyway, I have a choice between 3.21 and 3.55 gears, and I think I'll go with the 3.21 since I won't have to mess with the pinion for those because that is what is in the 8.25 currently.
Just need to swap over the Sure Grip carrier and from a mid 90's truck 70's A body housing that has the 3.21 gears .

The 3.55's will still be available if I change my mind later, but I don't want to go too far right off the bat because I do a lot of hiway driving.

The carrier bearings out of the 70's housing have a larger OD, so I had to order the smaller bearings for the later housing (up to the mid 90's from a dodge truck)
The ID of the bearings is the same, as are the axles spline count from the older housing and axles to the newer carrier.
It is what it is, and I'm just happy that my car isn't down while this is being swapped around.

What should have been a 2 hour ordeal took me more like 4 because of the screwed up arm.:rolleyes:

Got the new Timken bearings on order from Denny's Driveshaft, because everything I could seem to get locally was some (probably China brand) or a generic like most of the parts stores sell.

View attachment 1715389371
I'm confused, are you putting in an 8.75 or gear swapping an 8.25?

I'm confused, are you putting in an 8.75 or gear swapping an 8.25?

You're confused?
I'm confused.:D

The non locking 8.25 with 3.21 gears came out of the green car.
An 8.75 I built for the guy is going in it.
The non locker 8.25 with the 3.21 gears is getting a locker and going in my Dart in trade for doing the green car 8.25 to 8.75 locker build and swap.
I have a 3.55 set I can swap to in the 8.25 locker for my car later if I would rather.
My 7.25 open 4.5 BP is coming out of my car and going into the Wife's 72 Dart to start moving her car to BBP. (I didn't mention the 72 in my post)

Got it?
Good, as I may need you to un confuse me later.:D

You're confused?

The non locker 8.25 with the 3.21 gears is getting a locker and going in my Dart in trade for doing the green car 8.25 to 8.75 locker build and swap.
I have a 3.55 set I can swap to in the 8.25 locker for my car later if I would rather.
My 7.25 open 4.5 BP is coming out of my car and going into the Wife's 72 Dart to start moving her car to BBP. (I didn't mention the 72 in my post)

Got it?
clear as mud :poke:

You are ambitious to tackle that with one arm.

So you're puttin 3.21 gears in your Red car with an OD transmission? Sissy.

View attachment 1715389371
What kind of car is this??

I am guessing later, because the plastic filler instead of lead, so I am calling 72 or newer.

Then there is the roof mounted seat belt, so now i am calling 73 or newer.

??

You're confused?

Got it?

DUH , WHUT ??

I am guessing later, because the plastic filler instead of lead, so I am calling 72 or newer.

??

The green car is a 74 and the guy is just now getting started fixing it up.
You would have known right away if I had gotten the wrap around tail lights and plastic bumper filler in the pic.:D
He is building a 440/727 at his house for it while I build and install the 8.75 locker with disc brakes for him.
Right now it has a barely runs one barrel 318 in it.
He has a ton of new and reconditioned parts for it sitting in his garage for when it goes back to his house.
So right now we have 3 Darts here, a 72, 73 and a 74.
The 72 is my Wife Stephanie's car, the 73 red Dart (mine) and this green 74. (Robs)
When my buddy Mike comes over we have 71, 72, 73, 74 all here at the same time.:D

Last edited:

??

Uhhhh, the roof in that green car has already been worked on. The fact it’s red means if it was a vinyl top car and the rest of the paint (green) is original paint, the original colour under the top would have been cream/white. That looks like filler with some red primer that been sprayed on it many years after the car was made. Lead was still used in ‘75 as that’s what mine had.

It’s a ‘74+ based on the front upper seat belt anchors.

Last edited:
Uhhhh, the roof in that green car has already been worked on. The fact it’s red means if it was a vinyl top car and the rest of the paint (green) is original paint, the original colour under the top would have been cream/white. That looks like filler with some red primer that been sprayed on it many years after the car was made.

It’s a ‘74+ based on the front upper seat belt anchors.

Exactly.
And a pretty nasty job of it at that.:D

The green car is a 74 and the guy is just now getting started fixing it up.
You would have known right away if I had gotten the wrap around tail lights and plastic bumper filler in the pic.:D
He is building a 440/727 at his house for it while I build and install the 8.75 locker with disc brakes for him.
Right now it has a barely runs one barrel 318 in it.
He has a ton of new and reconditioned parts for it sitting in his garage for when it goes back to his house.
So right now we have 3 Darts here, a 72, 73 and a 74.
The 72 is my Wife Stephanie's car, the 73 red Dart (mine) and this green 74. (Robs)
When my buddy Mike comes over we have "71, 72, 73, 74" all here at the same time.:D

that's a small straight where i am from.!!

:)

I'm considering "simply" adding a sure grip to my 8 1/4 rather than transplanting an 8 3/4 even though I have one. The weight difference is incredible.

So, I'll be tuning in frequently

On somewhat related notes-

Last year I went to a cruise with a new friend (FBBO member) and his out of town friend.

We had 71/72/73 Roadrunner, SSP, and Satellite.

That was pretty neat.

Pretty sure lead was used on non-vinyl top cars but starting in 72-ish plastic filler was used under vinyl. At least on B body cars.

The 8-1/4 is a pretty good rear for a c-clip axle. They consume a lot less power than an 8-3/4 (actually not a whole lot more than the 7-1/4) and stand up to a pretty fair amount of abuse before breaking. The only times I have actually known of them breaking has been in lifted big tired four wheel drives doing things they were never intended to do. The weakest part is the spider gears and carrier followed by the pinion (usually crush sleeve related).

The 8-1/4 is a pretty good rear for a c-clip axle. They consume a lot less power than an 8-3/4 (actually not a whole lot more than the 7-1/4) and stand up to a pretty fair amount of abuse before breaking. The only times I have actually known of them breaking has been in lifted big tired four wheel drives doing things they were never intended to do. The weakest part is the spider gears and carrier followed by the pinion (usually crush sleeve related).

The 8.25 going in my car has the spacer instead of the crush sleeve, so hopefully I won't have any problems with the rear end related to the pinion.
Even though 50 years old and used the parts look in really nice condition, so it's possible someone put new parts in it.
The axles where the bearings ride looks nice also, so I don't have to put repair bearings in it yet.
The Limited slip parts that came out of the mid 90's Dakota look almost new, so I suspect it was mostly driven pretty easy.

I'm pretty happy with the whole thing so far, and am looking forward to doing some steering with the rear again.:D

Got the green car's 8.75 spring perches welded in place at 3 degrees down on the pinion and the carrier put in and coated with rust encapsulator yesterday, and will be assembling the disc brake kit brackets and such today.
Working under a tree in my back yard.:D

perch.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

That is some nice work... Heck, the factory didn't make it look that good!

-
Back