Well I'm probably passing the point of no return now

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
Some of you may hate me for this but I've made up my mind. My car is an original 72 340 4 speed low option car. It was in really rough shape when I got it with no numbers matching anything and a body that had been hit hard several times. I didn't feel too bad about mini tubbing it, moving the springs into the frame rail and installing an 8 point bar.

However it's reached a point where it is traction limited and I can't go any farther until I have a suspension in place and tires that will handle any additional power. So I've ordered and paid for a 4 link back half kit. I plan to keep as much of the stock floor as possible and may even add a 12 point cage. Sounds drastic but necessary to fit bigger tires and most importantly so it will handle that 400 or 440 cube small block I have planned. :D

It should be capable of running deep into the 9's although I only need enough to run 10 flat in the worst weather conditions. Flame me if you wish but I can't afford to start over with another car.

I don't hate you for cutting an original car that belongs to you and only you. My 74 Duster is an original 360 car that they only made 12-1300 or so of. I like it better the way it is. I don't blame you for doing this.
How big a tire are you running now? I'm running ladder bars and leaf springs with floaters and am running 14x31 Goodyears with the spring relocation kit with stock frame rails and mini tubs. I have a friend with the identical set-up(suspension and tires) and he has run a best of 9.30 @ 145mph... with a Jericho 4-speed. The ladder bars were a big help. The 4-link will be good but may take a while to sort out the set-up. There are a lot of adjustments to be made and also a lot of ways to screw up.
Happy cutting and good-luck.

do what ya gotta do to make the car enjoyable to...other wise you might as well be driving a ford

What good is owning a car if you don't enjoy it. Good luck with the mod job.

Untitled 2.jpg

I bought my car as a rolling shell, but it came with the original block & 727 trans. Know what I did? I broke out the SawZall and cut a big honkin hole in da floor for the shifter to poke through after I swapped in a 4 spd. Know why? It's my car. It also happens to be a factory A/C, disc brake, 340 Formula S in that quirky turquoise metallic. So what....I want a 4 spd. Hot Rod w/ a 6Bbl.

Remember: Measure twice, cut once. Go for it.

onehellofadart said:
Its your car why are you apologizing?

I ain't apologizing just that I know how opinionated some of the resto crowd can be. Yeah it's my car and I can do what I want, and I will.

moparracer said:
How big a tire are you running now? I'm running ladder bars and leaf springs with floaters and am running 14x31 Goodyears with the spring relocation kit with stock frame rails and mini tubs. I have a friend with the identical set-up(suspension and tires) and he has run a best of 9.30 @ 145mph... with a Jericho 4-speed. The ladder bars were a big help.

I've got an 11.5 / 29.5 tire in there now with CalTracs. I can't see putting a 14 inch anything in there though. Keep in mind that I run at a track that does virtually no prep. If I want to race at a decent track (and the racers at both Moroso and Gainseville complain about their tracks) I'd have to drive 2 1/5 hours one way instead of 45 minutes to race.

OUTLAW said:
do what ya gotta do to make the car enjoyable to...other wise you might as well be driving a ford

:D That's funny right there I don't care who ya are!

Dont worry about what it was, make it how you want it. My Duster is a Hang-10, 360 4 bbl. There probly weren't many of them, but i wanted it the way i wanted it.Do what you want, its your car---have fun with it.

I didnt know they made Duster hang 10s I thought it was only darts.,But anyways Do what you want ,its your car. Why have it if its not how you want it? 8)

Guitar Jones said:
I've got an 11.5 / 29.5 tire in there now with CalTracs. I can't see putting a 14 inch anything in there though. Keep in mind that I run at a track that does virtually no prep. If I want to race at a decent track (and the racers at both Moroso and Gainseville complain about their tracks) I'd have to drive 2 1/5 hours one way instead of 45 minutes to race.

It is not as hard as it seems. The lip on the wheel well has to be "rolled" on the inside and the front lip needs to be stretched to accomadate the larger tires. Assuming the springs are moved in under the framerails or removed altogether. Goodyear makes the best tires for my application because of the cross section dimension. My 14x31 Goodyears have more clearance than the 13x31 M/T's that i used to run. Of course wheel offset and rear end width play a major role in getting everything to fit properly. When I narrowed the Dana there was a lot of checking fit before it was final welded. I didn't want the tires sticking out and i wanted no rubbing.
You mentioned Moroso and Gainsville racers complaining, It's funny that no matter where you go somebody is always complaining about their track.

Cut away. I love the sawzall. My car is one of 1200 slant six fastbacks made in 69. Mybe not desirable but alot rarer then a 340 car.

I've cut up rare cars before too. It just makes the 'restored' ones that much more valuable.

Does this mean you may be selling your CalTracs? If so, I may be interested in them.

GotDart said:
Does this mean you may be selling your CalTracs? If so, I may be interested in them.

Well yes but I'm pretty sure my son (scamp73) wants them for his car. If not I'll let you know. I would be selling the whole package though as I have the monoleaf springs, hangers and adjustable shocks to go with the bars.

Guitar Jones said:
Well yes but I'm pretty sure my son (scamp73) wants them for his car. If not I'll let you know. I would be selling the whole package though as I have the monoleaf springs, hangers and adjustable shocks to go with the bars.
So is your son putting them on his car?

Shame on you cutting up an origional and not even offering to post some pics of the wackin' and the weldin'. Let resto croud see what their mad about..lol. Oh and as long as you're cuttin'...I could use a section of the trunk floor in my 2 dr ht Dart. I believe it's the same. Or you could cut up my 2 dr sedan Dart and put the kit in it and rid yourself of the guilt. I already cut up the inner fenders for the headers, cut out the wheel wells for tubs, and cut out the spare tire well in favor of a flat piece of sheet metal for the fuel cell to sit on.
I'd like to see pics from start to finish. I think it would make a good tech article for those of us who would like to do this to our cars. Wow...pissed of resto people, tech article, and people cheering you on. Your way cool..go for it man.

-
Back