Well that's better

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I'm only trying to make a fifty footer but I couldn't handle all the bug spots clear to the primer in my rustoleum paint job. I wasn't very happy with the golf ball texture either. So I sanded the big spots woth 400 then 600 and the entire side with 600.
I sprayed a few thin coats on the bug spots and any sanding burn through spots. Then sprayed the entire side a couple coats.
Thos time I mixed the rustoleum with urethane reducer instead of acetone.
It played out much better. Except for one run.
It's still pretty orange peeled if I was using good paint, but for a rustoleum job and my lack of talent it's well within good enough tolerance.

20221107_172201.jpg

20221107_172155.jpg

20221106_153509.jpg

20221107_172153.jpg

That looks good.

I have been using Kirker brand that I buy online. A urethane basecoat clearcoat job cost me around $300.

That looks good.

I have been using Kirker brand that I buy online. A urethane basecoat clearcoat job cost me around $300.
Got a link. I couldn't find anything even close to as cheap as the rustoleum. I still have modifications to make to the body so I wanted a cheap single stage that I can easily match when I need to.

I only hope when I paint Vixen it looks that good. I'll eff it up for sure. lol

I only hope when I paint Vixen it looks that good. I'll eff it up for sure. lol
Thanks. Keep in mind you can also sand it and spray it again. Once I make the changes I want Ill probably scuff it and clear it. This is just to seal up all the patchwork I did.

Shot the Shelby with Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum paint with a Harbor Freight purple gun. Reduced with acetone. 1st vehicle I've shot. Was hoping for a 20 footer. Ended up with a 5-10 footer.
20220921_212416.jpg

Shot the Shelby with Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum paint with a Harbor Freight purple gun. Reduced with acetone. 1st vehicle I've shot. Was hoping for a 20 footer. Ended up with a 5-10 footer.
View attachment 1716007771
My guess is you have way more skill than I have. What mix ratio did you use.
I love first gen Dakotas. I v8 swapped a couple way back in the day.

3:1 ratio for both the primer and the paint. 42 psi to the gun with the primer and 38 psi to the gun for the paint. YouTube taught me. LOL

I painted a bunch of cabinets and other things with rustoleum and some hardner for just about any urethane/enamel paints . It will set up faster and not take two days to dry.

Resized_20220918_075207 (2).jpeg

3:1 ratio for both the primer and the paint. 42 psi to the gun with the primer and 38 psi to the gun for the paint. YouTube taught me. LOL
Thanks I tried 3-1 but my air pressure was below 30. maybe a little more pressure will help. I used magic tractor enamel hardener.

You can probabyl buy real auto urethane reducer as cheap as acetone!!!
Didn't even think about it, honestly. Being a rookie, I stuck with Rustoleum's guideline. If I ever get around to having my trailer blasted, I'll experiment with it.

I painted a bunch of cabinets and other things with rustoleum and some hardner for just about any urethane/enamel paints . It will set up faster and not take two days to dry.
It did take a couple of days to dry completely. I didn't touch it for a week, just to be sure. I wasn't too sure about the outcome the day I shot it, but the longer it dried the better it looked. By day 3, I was really pleased.

A big factor is UV protection. Makes big difference of a car sits in a garage or outside!
Rustoleum is super tough. Try DAing some off!!
Late Rustoleum I bouught was like $35 /gal. I can buy decent acrylic urethane with hardner for $275/gal. Yep you can spend !$1000/gal too!
But I still put in how many hours to get it ready for topcoat??

-
Back