well this sucks

-

ef8340

Reaction score
yesterday I went to my storage unit to get some tools so I could pawn them for gas money for the week. big bummer my lock was cut off and I was robbed. thankfully they didn't get much which leads me to belive they were on foot. all of my welding/fabrication tools were stolen along with the box they were in and some tools out of my mechanic box (I guess the little punk or punks were too weak to carry that box) the property don't have insurance on there units so it store at your own risk they did however give me a months free rent whoopty do yesterday I was at the flea market hopeing too find it but no luck I guess Monday after school i'll stop by some local pawn shops. hopefully the cops find him before I do or he's gonna find out what other uses thoses hammers are handy for

The problem with all that is that you would then get arrested and then it would suck even more. I think they give the criminals to many rights and thats why we're in the shape we're in. Bill

I would also like to ask if anyone in the northeast Ga area that will be going to the swap meet at the Atlanta drags in commerce this Saturday coming up if you could keep an eye out for me. P.M. me and i'll give you my contact information and a brief description of my tools and the box they were in. the storage unit manager did his walk around last weekend so the thieves got my stuff this week. majority of the stuff was snap-on and starrett
I appreciate any help on this matter
thanks
Terry

that's what I had on there. the owners gave me a new lock along with a lockout one since ive been there for over 6yrs

Anyone know what you had in there? others hit?If only you someone knew what was in there.

Sorry to hear that ...... My dad has a sayin ......... You can keep an honest man honest....... But you cant keep a bad man honest.

I would also like to ask if anyone in the northeast Ga area that will be going to the swap meet at the Atlanta drags in commerce this Saturday coming up if you could keep an eye out for me. P.M. me and i'll give you my contact information and a brief description of my tools and the box they were in. the storage unit manager did his walk around last weekend so the thieves got my stuff this week. majority of the stuff was snap-on and starrett
I appreciate any help on this matter
thanks
Terry

Sorry to hear this happened. Try putting an ad on your area Craigslist wanting to buy welding tools and see if you get a hit.

Angle grinders make light work of most locks.

As the owner of a self storage facility, here's some advice-

Get a lock with a short a bolt/shank as will fit.

Disc locks are much Better, as it's difficult to get the grinder disk on the shank.

Use more than one lock.

I don't know if I'd keep high dollar tools ina place I know is uninsured.

If you must- Keep your high dollar tools in a heavy box, and lock that box.

Anything that slows down a potential theif is worth doing.

My floor jack is wedeged under my work bench.
My compressor is bolted to the floor (ask before doing this, obviously), and I have a hex shank, nitride padlock, plus a disc lock on both latches.

The tools I leave in that unit are Kobalt from the discount table, and they are in the most beat up "quality" tool box I could find at the pawn shop. My theory is that if it looks nasty, maybe they won't even look in it.

...and I make my tennants sign a lease that says the total of everyting in the unit is less than $5K or they show an insurance policy and the renewals (even though I also explicitly state- "at own risk").

-
Back