Welp... just bought a F*** Bronco

-
Nice to see a o.g. one again. Even living near the Pismo dunes,I see one local one around town. Expensive, on the left coast.

Nice score, but my favorite is the 1979 the best looking bronco ever made

But that is MY OPINION ONLY

We are getting rid of the 3 on the tree transmission installing a 4 speed with new clutch tonight .. I think.

Did that work out for you?

Used to have a 73 similar to yours. Best of my knowledge there is no 4 speed that will bolt in and hook up to that transfer case. Might be able to do something with a transfer case swap.

I know of a BWT10 swapped in by a guy with plenty of machining, but it certainly was not an easy swap. I ran the 3 speed in mine with a floor shift conversion. 3 on the tree was pretty sloppy. Hot setup was the C4 automatic. We were running high speed trails, but if you are planning on rock crawling, there really is nothing wrong with the 3 speed manual. It's pretty strong.

We havent put the 4 speed in yet, we have had some delays.... but... my buddy that builds these professionally has a full metal shop and has developed and machined a adapter that makes installing 4 speeds a simple proceedure. He has put prob 50 4 speeds in these first gen Broncos. While this will not be a rock crawler...it will be used as a 4 wheeler. The 4 speed will just be better for it.
We hope to get all the mechanical done on it here in the next few weeks... will see how that goes...

-RPM

-
Back