Went down the track today

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I finally made it out to the local drag strip today with my duster. Here is a link to the post I started a few weeks back about what I would run.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=45488&highlight=going+down+the+strip

I made four passes and 16.120 was my best. I was really hoping to get into the 15's, maybe next time. Im new to this and it just takes practice. A few friends were with me and one of them has a challenger with a 318 in it thats mostly stock, except different cam, intake, and carb. And he was able to get a 16.86. So I know my car should defiently go mid 15's. But overall it was a lot of fun and can't wait to do it again!

I sure wish I could make a few passes=P~ that was great was'nt it.
Glad you and your friends had a great day.:cheers:
I hope you get to enjoy a few more runs this year.:-D

Keep on keeping on 7duster4 :cheers:

I was wondering if you had gone yet. Good to here you had fun at the track. Now you have a base number to inprove on next time. With more practice and a little more hook. You can work that time down.

What was your 60 foot time?

I was wondering if you had gone yet. Good to here you had fun at the track. Now you have a base number to inprove on next time. With more practice and a little more hook. You can work that time down.

What was your 60 foot time?

My 60-foot for my best run was 2.470 with an 86mph trap speed. I took off around 1,400rpm and didn't seem to have traction issues, it just took off strong. I made a 4th pass hoping to beat the 16.120 but ended up getting a 16.474. I sifited into second around 5,500rpm. Didn't reach my goal of 15's but it was still a blast.

Cool. I like getting the most out of stuff before moving on. This is how Stock Eliminator came about.
If you're serious:
-You'll get the most E.T. out of staging shallow. Meaning: Just barely turn on the second yellow. The rolling start will lower your E.T. (As will the tallest front tire you can fit.)
-Is that a stock convertor? Experiment by leaving at idle vs. floored against the convertor. Always run with motor and trans cool. (Room for discussion here, for sure.)
-I don't know if 500 cfm's is big enough for your combo. (Could be?) At any rate, make sure the secondaries are opening quick enough.
-The biggest mod that I made to a stock '72 340 (sounds the same as yours, except for the cubes.) that I had, was to get the valve spring pressure right so it would rev to it's potential. It had 3.23's and a A727. It would rev to 6500 and go through the traps in second gear right at about 6500. A friend helped me with that trick. It would only go to about 5700 before we shimmed them up. The drop into 2nd really kills you.
Maybe you don't care about this stuff, no prob. But, I love the look on their faces when you tell them "it's pretty much stock". Dude's I beat grudge racing on Friday night's that had holley's, header's etc., had that look. 8)

Cool. I like getting the most out of stuff before moving on. This is how Stock Eliminator came about.
If you're serious:
-You'll get the most E.T. out of staging shallow. Meaning: Just barely turn on the second yellow. The rolling start will lower your E.T. (As will the tallest front tire you can fit.)
-Is that a stock convertor? Experiment by leaving at idle vs. floored against the convertor. Always run with motor and trans cool. (Room for discussion here, for sure.)
-I don't know if 500 cfm's is big enough for your combo. (Could be?) At any rate, make sure the secondaries are opening quick enough.
-The biggest mod that I made to a stock '72 340 (sounds the same as yours, except for the cubes.) that I had, was to get the valve spring pressure right so it would rev to it's potential. It had 3.23's and a A727. It would rev to 6500 and go through the traps in second gear right at about 6500. A friend helped me with that trick. It would only go to about 5700 before we shimmed them up. The drop into 2nd really kills you.
Maybe you don't care about this stuff, no prob. But, I love the look on their faces when you tell them "it's pretty much stock". Dude's I beat grudge racing on Friday night's that had holley's, header's etc., had that look. 8)

Thanks for the feedback, i'll definetly have to keep those in mind. The converter is a stock unit. Nothing wild like a high stall one. What rpm to take off at is something to play around with for sure. I think I need to load it up around 1,000rpm then take off and that would give me a better 60-foot.

Nice looking car.

You're giving up a *ton* of ET with that 60' time. Time for some sticky tires, though potential is limited with a stock converter there's definitely room for improvement.

You might want to try lowering your shift point to about 5000 and increase from there until it stops going faster.

Carburetor is too small, and Holleys make more power.

Good luck, have fun!

Steve

-
Back