Went for a ride today

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Took the BB Demon out for a spin today.
Radiator was a bit low so I topped it off before going out.
The new exhaust system sounds nice, but is a bit loud.
Pulled out of the driveway went around the first turn and here comes the Sheriff going the other way. I kept going and so did he.
Stop by my buddies hose and we checked out the fuel gauge and have come to the conclusion that the aftermarket gauge is bad.
Came home and parked the car, went inside and came out 10 minutes later. There's a wet stripe in the driveway under the radiator.
Not sure if it came out the top of the overflow tank, or the lower radiator hose. The over flow tank was damp on top, and had drips on the bottom. And the lower radiator hose had a drop on top, almost looks like it has a small 1/4" slit. I wiped it off and look in a bit, as the system is still pressurized.
I did put my foot into it a bit when I was leaving my buddies house. It was loud , but sounded awesome.

:burnout:

It was this one that included the mufflers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680145/

Put the system on the car from the rear forward. Had to take 1 1/2" off the tail pipe where it went into the rear of the muffler. Used the pipe coming out of the front of the muffler, then cut the front pipes very short and at an angle to fit to the collectors.
Had to buy a set of 3" collectors as the headers came with 2 1/2" and the ones that come with the summit kit are to small to mount on the ProParts flange.

Sounds like fun. I dont have the original collectors to my Proparts headders. Im also using a Dana. I may end up going with side exit but I like the sound.

With this system the mufflers end up to far back to run a side exit in front of the back tires.
I'll try to grab some under car pictures tomorrow.

Haven't looked at it today, but when I put it away last night, it was still dry.
I think it blew out the tiny hole on the catch can.
I need to go drain it, and find a better place to mount it, as the petcock is right ontop of the frame rail.

you probably need a higher psi radiator cap. that'll help it run cooler also. i forget the formula, but somethin like every PSI=3 degrees rise in the boiling point....or some stuff like that. and I gotta say again, your car is just slap cool. you oughtta be proud of it. i would be. :thumbrig:

Yesterday I pulled the overflow tank out and drained it, it was full and when I tipped it a bit anti freeze came out the small weep hole on top. I made a new bracket for it and it will be mounted on the left side now. I will be able to reach the petcock easily, and it will drain past the frame rail, and not onto it.
I am running a 16psi cap, and the temperature usually runs 160 or just a tad higher. This 440 runs cooler than my other one.
The other one has flakes of rust that break loose and get stuck in the top of the radiator. I have back flushed, and used a cleaner on it multiple time, and it still does it. Plugs the radiator up and then over heats. I need to take that one apart , pull all the freeze out plugs and scrub the heck out of all the passages.

They make performance caps to like 20 PSI. If your cooling system will take it, I would try one. The extra PSI will be of great benefit especially in really hot weather. Think about it this way. When we hot rod a car, literally everything is better than stock. That 16 PSI cap is still rated for a stock coolin system on a stock engine. Not only is your engine not stock, but it's in a small cramped up engine bay. Just somethin to think about.

Yesterday I pulled the overflow tank out and drained it, it was full and when I tipped it a bit anti freeze came out the small weep hole on top. I made a new bracket for it and it will be mounted on the left side now. I will be able to reach the petcock easily, and it will drain past the frame rail, and not onto it.
I am running a 16psi cap, and the temperature usually runs 160 or just a tad higher. This 440 runs cooler than my other one.
The other one has flakes of rust that break loose and get stuck in the top of the radiator. I have back flushed, and used a cleaner on it multiple time, and it still does it. Plugs the radiator up and then over heats. I need to take that one apart , pull all the freeze out plugs and scrub the heck out of all the passages.
for your rust issue...flyboy01 on BBD...had this to say quote:

Corrosion is a bad word. Rust is not a good conductor of heat. Typically it's worse in blocks from the south, because not everyone runs coolant where it rarely freezes, I picked up a 383 from south Texas once that had horrible internal corrosion. Also, rust scales can clog the tubes in the radiator. There is actually an easy fix for this, drain all your coolant, flush your system with water, drain the water, then fill your system with Evaporust, 2 gallons will run you about $40. Run the engine so the t-stat opens, then after 5 min, shut it down. Let it sit for 2-3 days. Drain (save the fluid for future use), the liquid should be black, this means that the rust has been chelated. The block should be clean and rust free now. Flush the system again to get rid of any large rust flakes and deposits left over. If you strain the rust chunks out, you can still use it to de-rust other parts.

Thanks Eric, I'll have to look into that.
I think I did remove one head and just bolted it back, but it's been a few years, I'll check and see.
That would be such a help if it worked, as I could do that and just throw a reverse band in the tranny, and get a good valve body, and put it back together.
That would make 2 Big Block cars in the driveway.

New location for the over flow tank.

Over flow tank new location.jpg

-
Back