Went to tighten up the valve train and got a nasty surprise.

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of my rods was just sitting there and the rocker was sticking straight up.

The rocker doesn't look damaged. The rod doesn't look damages (but i'm still replacing it).

Problem is that the lifter looks messed up. Do these periodically fail? I thought they were solid? Anyway, i can move it with the rod, it kinda shifts side to side. I'm going back out there with a flash light now, so i'll make another post with more details.

But, big questions:
1. Where do i get new lifters?
2. Is this super bad?

Alright, a flashlight really cleared that up.

Turns out the lifter was all messed up. But only because it had FALLEN OUT. I guess i let my rockers get FAR too loose and it let go of my rod and it all went haywire. Well, that could've been a mess.

Good thing i decided to change my valve cover gasket. I tightened up my valve train too, but i'm not sure i did it right. It still missed when i cram on the gas, but not at idle.

I'm super happy that i'm running on all 6 cylinders agian. I knew my car had been running crappy lately, but it certainly didn't sound like it was missing a cylinder. Its a testament to the engine that it'll run w/o a cylinder, a loose lifter, and a loose pushrod.

It is amazing what a slant can take, it's like a zombie. Mine had 2 loose rocker shaft bolts, 3 loose head bolts and the #1 intake pushrod was bent so bad it was hitting the drool tube, and the ONLY problem it had was a rough idle.

-
Back