Were early 4 speeds painted?

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Restoring my '65 FS 273 with 4 speed. The transmission is cleaned, rebuilt and ready to go, but can't decide if I should paint it or leave it natural. There is (what I believe to be) a factory stencil number 4 on the side, It looks like it was made over black paint, and there is evidence of black paint on the casting. Casting date 10-9. Anyone know if these were painted black at the factory, or should I just leave it be?

DSC_6292[1].JPG

Never saw one painted but I usually paint mine with Cast coat. Or you could clear it . If you leave it bare it will turn rust brown

Wont rust where he lives In California.
In PA it will rust overnight.

No they were not painted, the factory left them bare. The bare iron is a blackish tone when new. Yours is silver, so how did it get that way, wire wheel or scotchbrite pads?

normally they have 3 digits stencil painted on the side.

I bought it the way it is shown in the picture. As you can see, there is black in the pores of the casting, so I think that is just a natural color of the cast, and yes, this is a California transmission, no rust on it. I personally haven't done anything to it but clean the exterior with a light solvent, and avoided the 4 mark. I've read that there are 3 digits stenciled on 4 speeds that tie it to a to the broadcast sheet, but thought that was for later 4 speeds. This one appears to be an early '65 unit built 10-9-1964 per the casting number.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, no paint from New Process Gear. Only inspection marks, and a 3 digit ink stamp. Here is a sample of a case finished with RPM...no paint.

20171213_165013.jpg

This one has been painted with "cast blast" and has a satin clear over top.

20230121_144947.jpg

They look so nice cleaned up and quick coat of paint to keep them coated. Imo correct or not it isn't gonna hurt it to coat it.

20210805_155622.jpg

Yours would have the numbers 65 stamped onside of case. about 2" high numbers in white ink.

They look so nice cleaned up and quick coat of paint to keep them coated. Imo correct or not it isn't gonna hurt it to coat it.

View attachment 1716096566
Dear Josh,

Please send my transmission, bellhousing and pistol grip shifter to me. I forgot them an drove off without them. Thanks for posting a picture reminding me. I will of course pay the shipping.

Mine was unpainted. I dusted it with a light coat of Rust-o-leum Aluminum paint before I installed it.

As said before trans not painted, but a paint stripe indicating trans model and/or number stenciled in white, and bellhousing not really intentionally fully painted, just overspray from painting the engine.

-
Back